X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• neck options

whats standard,one piece,and multi laminate.which is best

Re: neck options

Standard would be the normal headstock and neck are spliced peices of wood to create the angle of the headstock. This is what most companies do.

One Piece is when they will carve the neck, back angle and all from a single piece of wood, which is rather difficult to do, but promotes sustain.

Mult-laminate is when they take multiple strips of wood and glue them together for the neck. I don't think this is very common. I know Rickenbacker's guitars are like this. I don't think I've ever heard any benefits about this construction other than its strength... Hofner started using this method in the early days because trussrods weren't as reliable as they are now. Companies who make neck-thru stuff often use this technique.

This is really a matter of tastes. As I said, a One Piece would be the one that would do the most for sound, but I've heard that they can sometimes be fragile due to that neck angle.

Comment

so the standard is a neck and head then they just glue it.and the one piece is one whole neck with the head and all.is the standard stronger than the one piece

Comment

I like the rigid feel of the laminate necks. Jackson neckthrough necks were made this way until some point in late '84-very early '85. All of my neckthroughs made in '85 and after have a one piece neck, and that includes the headstock. I like those too. Some people don't like the idea of a seperate headstock (as found on C/J bolt ons), but I don't have a problem with them. I think they are just as strong as the one piece necks.

Comment

Two-piece head/necks are stronger because they are cut differently (flatsawn for the head, quartersawn for the neck), and the joint is located at the spot where a one-piece neck would be weakest.
          Any differences in sustain can only be measured by ultra-sensitive measuring devices, unless you compare a good guitar with a one-piece neck to a POS with a two-piece neck, and then you're comparing apples to rocks.

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
          X