neck and middle pickups for an sl 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• neck and middle pickups for an sl 1

I am going to get new neck and middle pickups put in my sl 1 to go with the bill lawrence bridge humbucker. I want some pickups with just a little less output, but still sound nice.. Maybe something that is very warm and clear for the neck.. Can anyone please help me out??!!
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Re: neck and middle pickups for an sl 1

Were the original Jackson J-100's no good? They match up extremely well with the Lawrence pickup. The J-100 is Jackson's "vintage single coil" with all the snap, tone, and quack of the originals! One thing you have to watch out for, your guitar's single coil routes are perfect ovals, there is no "lip flange" for most of the replacement singles.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Yeah, what's wrong with teh ones that are in there???

Comment

Regarding the route, I think both Duncan and DiMarzio have no-lipped singlecoils as an option.

Comment

Gold Moon:

I recently got a 99' SL-1 Soloist from Kickaxeguitars(Chuck) from the board here, and the guitar had Rio Grande's instead of the Jackson singles....they sound really, really nice. Very "vintagy" with very low noise. They compliment the Duncan hum very well.....

Another idea, one of my buddies has a Soloist with a Duncan Custom Custom and 2 EMG singles...how he wired it, I dunno...but it sounds equally awesome.

Comment

i got it with different pickups than what it had in it originally, and they simply arent loud enough. there is such a huge volume difference when i switch from bridge to any other. The tone is great though.....
            Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
            The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

Humbuckers will always sound louder than single coils. Did you try lowering the bridge pickup and raising the neck and middle to try to even out the balance a little more?
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Maybe you should consider a Duncan Little '59 for the neck--basically, it's a single coil-sized version of the Duncan '59. I'm probably going to put that in the neck position of my '93 Soloist. There's nothing wrong with the Jackson J-100 in there, but I'm rather partial to neck humbuckers.

Comment

The Little ´59 is a great neckpickup. I tried it in one of my Soloists and it sounded really sweet, both dirty and clean.

Comment

Working...
                  X