USA Select SLS question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA Select SLS question

Thinking about picking this one up. Anyone have one/review? What's a good price? Thanks!

Re: USA Select SLS question

I've played a USA SLS Select and I also have 1997 USA SLS which has different specs than the current one (24 frets, rosewood fingerboard, no inlays).

Basically it plays absolutely nothing like the SLSMG (if you've played one of those). It didn't seem 'super light' to me. The new SLS had a lot more natural tone than the SL1 and KE2 they had at the shop. The guitar itself felt very sturdy and the neck seemed exactly like my RR1T. The inlays in the new SLS (and the headstock logo) looked absolutely beautiful in person. The only thing that I didn't like on the new SLS was the bridge, itseemed to kill the feel / theme of the guitar and it wasn't nearly as comfortable as the Tune-O-Matic styled fixed bridges. Zebra styled pickups look a little goofy to me on that guitar too.

I can swing by that shop and check to see if they still have that SLS there if you want me to check for anything in particular.

Comment

I have an SLS since a few months and think it plays and sounds better than my SL1. The bridge pickup delivers a very traditional sound, great for Rock and traditional Metal/HR and the neck pickup delivers a nice and warm sound, very suitable for bluesy stuff. If you're looking for a metal-machine, this is probably the wrong guitar. I don't have any problems with the bridge or the shorter scale and I don't miss the 23rd and 24th fret at all [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I only sometimes think that the original Jackson headstock would suit her better.

Comment

Is the neck real thin front to back like the SLSMG's? {hope not}. Do they balance O.K. while playing sitting down? Are the fret ends bound? Thanks alot for the info guys...I'm really thinking about grabbing it {despite generally not liking red guitars}. What's the street price on one?

Comment

It is a shame they discontinued this model, but one of the reasons I didn`t get one, is I don`t like those kinda bridges, it would have been better with a Tunamatic and the headstock is kinda weird, everything else is perfect. Jack.

Comment

I'm wondering what difficulty would be involved in swapping the stock bridge for a Tune-o-Matic....anybody know?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Is the neck real thin front to back like the SLSMG's? {hope not}. Do they balance O.K. while playing sitting down? Are the fret ends bound? Thanks alot for the info guys...I'm really thinking about grabbing it {despite generally not liking red guitars}. What's the street price on one?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand your first question because its 4:30 [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] The body and the neck are much more balanced in comparison to the neck heavy SLSMGs. In other words, it feels a lot more natural to sit down and play with it than it does with the SLSMGs. There are other finishes aside from red too!

The one at the local shop (mom & pop shop) is $1799, I think (maybe more?).

Comment

Thanks for the info guys...I'm gonna' pass on the red one and hold out for a sunburst or blue SLS...

Comment

Hey there Mr Graphic!
                  Just want to let you know that I can get my hands on a new SLS Usa from Jackson in Trans Cobalt Blue or Tobacco Sunburst right now. I alos have a Usa SLS in Snake graphic in stock as well.
                  Please let me know if I can assist you in this purchase.
                  I also offer free pro set ups before I ship it out.
                  Hope to hear from you.
                  Thanks
                  Scott
                  Vwall Guitars

Comment

Thanks Scott, if I decide to proceed, I'll be in touch.

Comment

I have a 2004 USA SLS and its one of the best playing/sounding guitars I've ever played (and I'm a Floyd guy). I like the bridge better than the tune-o-matic.

I'm probably going to swap the bridge pickup for something a little hotter. The pearly gates is just not my sound.

Oh and I'm ready to kill for the Snakeskin one Scotts got at Vwall.

Comment

I think I played the one they had at Summer NAMM. The neck, IIRC, was not "Metal Thin" but not a Fatass either.
                        The bridge ain't too bad - takes some getting used to unless you're already used to them [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

The head and inlays suit that model but the zebra pickups don't - I'd go for covered pickups.

I also had a 97 SLS (though mine was 22 frets and no inlays [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]) and didn't care for it too much. My JacksonStars NASL, however, is the absolute sh1t [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I also had a 97 SLS (though mine was 22 frets and no inlays [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img])

[/ QUOTE ]

Weird... As I said earlier, I had one that was 24. Did they make a series of SLS's with a bunch of different features in '97?

Comment

I guess so. That was one thing I didn't like about it was the 22 frets, whereas my NASL, which is the same body, had 24 (then again, the Japanese model RRs also had 24 while we only get 22).
                            I also didn't care for the stopbar/TOM (prefer the Floyd, again on my NASL [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )
                            As well the neck felt funny - like it was really wide. Like, wider than it had to be.
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks again for the info!

Comment

Working...
                              X