Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those of you with RR1's with EMG's in em ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: For those of you with RR1\'s with EMG\'s in em ?

The 85 definitely has more low end, but it's too much when played at loud volumes and through an amp that's really gainy. Instead of thumping it'll fart the low end and the overall spectrum is uneven from low to high strings. You'll also find that the 85 is fuzzier and more prone to feedback as it is "hotter". Don't get me wrong, it'll still sound ok, but for a razor sharp pickup with more "headroom", the 81 is it. You can then turn up your amp and gain and take full advantage of whatit can do instead of limiting the amp on your own.

Comment

Originally posted by KV7EDS:
      The 85 definitely has more low end, but it's too much when played at loud volumes and through an amp that's really gainy. Instead of thumping it'll fart the low end and the overall spectrum is uneven from low to high strings. You'll also find that the 85 is fuzzier and more prone to feedback as it is "hotter". Don't get me wrong, it'll still sound ok, but for a razor sharp pickup with more "headroom", the 81 is it. You can then turn up your amp and gain and take full advantage of whatit can do instead of limiting the amp on your own.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've never had a problem with the 85 farting out my amp. Probably because I EQ the hell out of it to make sure that doesn't happen, not matter what I'm playing at whatever volume. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] But like most things this is just my preference. I don't like razor sharp tones at all. My ears can't take it. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] That being said, I just got done yoinking that song Trinity from your website and... well, you can't really argue with results. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I like the 60 in the neck, it's really a unique and amazing clean tone, witht he attack of a single but the warmth and depth of a hum. As you can see by the very different opinions in this thread, there are a lot of different choices and combinations for EMGs [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] . You gotta try em out and see for yourself. A combo that you might think is your fav will quickly get overshadowed by another you try out! I myself thought the 81/60 combo was the best but tried out the 85/81 combo in another guitar and I love em both (considering slight differences in tone from the guitars themselves)

[ June 15, 2003, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: eet_fuk_81 ]

Comment

Anybody have any final statements before I pull the trigger on an EMG set off ebay today ?

Comment

EMGs rule!! I've got three guitars with them. My Hamer Special has two chrome 25th anniversary 81s, my purple Dinky has 81b/85n and my black Dinky has 85b/60n. The 85/60 setup is my personal favorite, but I like the others as well. The 85 has an alnico magnet and has more mids and is warmer. The 81 has a ceramic magnet and a little more high end. Any EMG will sound awesome in either neck or bridge, but most of the time I seem to like brighter neck pups and prefer the 81 or 60 for the neck. The 85 is also nice in the neck, but warmer. If you get an 81/85 set, try them in both positions to see what you like better... it's easy since they have the quick-connect cable system.

Also, if you want a little more headroom, you can always wire the pups to two 9v batteries instead of one. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ June 21, 2003, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by jackson16:
              I love the 89 cuz its coil tapped.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually, no, the 89 is NOT coil tapped. It's really two pickups in one... the 85 humbucker and the SA single coil. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I never knew that. I figured it was the same thing. Either way its an awesome pickup and more people should check them out.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                  ...if you want a little more headroom, you can always wire the pups to two 9v batteries instead of one...
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?!?!?! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  I've never found out and I've been asking for ages (well this is the second time, but Ive been confused for ages).

Jamesy

Comment

I have 2 mahogany bodied guitars and 1 has the EMG 81/SA, and the other has the eMG 85/81. First off, I don`t use Neck pickups, never did like the sound up there. But as for the bridge, I like the 81 for more searing highs and leads, and the 85 for growling and thick palm muting, I like them both, I would at least choose the bridge pickup for the music you play most and if you play rythym or lead most of the time. Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750:
                      ....Even if you never use the option, just knowing that it's there is a good thing, makes the guitar better and more versatile.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, kinda like 24 frets or a Floyd on a Rhoads [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by slayer:
                        I have 2 mahogany bodied guitars and 1 has the EMG 81/SA, and the other has the eMG 85/81. First off, I don`t use Neck pickups, never did like the sound up there. But as for the bridge, I like the 81 for more searing highs and leads, and the 85 for growling and thick palm muting, I like them both, I would at least choose the bridge pickup for the music you play most and if you play rythym or lead most of the time. Jack.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Aye probably good advice. Any my jackson is my lead guitar. If I was going to do rythem ide use my les paul palm muting on a stoptail &gt; palm muting on a floyd.

anyways, Guitar center gave me a 155 dollars price after tax for a pair of emg 81's. It seems like a pretty decent price since the Zakk wylde set goes on ebay for like 150 bucks. I wouldnt mind paying hte extra 5 if I could have them right away.
                        This is a decent price isnt it ?

Comment

Working...
                        X