Need help with SL2H setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with SL2H setup

I took delivery of a USA made SL2H in Transparent Black a few months ago. It is a beautiful instrument but has considerable fret buzz on frets 1-5 on the fifth and sixth string. The shop where I bought it, said that it was setup properly and this guitar is just going to be that way. I will buy somewhere else next time. I raised the action myself to about 2mm at fret 12 and the neck looked too flat, so I backed off on the truss rod a quarter turn. This helped but it still buzzes way too much for a guitar in this price range. The strings I play are 9-42 Super Slinkys. I play a mixture of metal, blues and a little country. The fret buzz is very noticeable when playing clean. Can anyone advise me on setting this baby up to get a happy medium of low action and minimal fret buzz. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. WRBullard.

Re: Need help with SL2H setup

You either have to raise the nut or make sure you don't have a high or improperly leveled fret. Adjusting the truss rod will not cure the problem you described. You can raise a locking nut by taking it off and inserting a wood shaving under the side that has the fret buzz. Take a straight edge and make sure that the buzzing frets are level first. My best guess would be that you need a fret dress and level. If it is a new instrument than I suggest marching back to the store you got it from and demanding that they make it right. Fret buzz is not acceptable unless you have your action set so low that it can't be avoided. Don't take no for an answer. That is an expensive high quality guitar and it should be set up correctly. [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

Comment

You either have to raise the nut or make sure you don't have a high or improperly leveled fret. Adjusting the truss rod will not cure the problem you described.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It really sounds like it needs about another 1/2 turn of the truss rod due to a change in climate. Sight down the neck and see if it has a back bow near the end.

Matt

Comment

Put some heavier gauge strings in it. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

Put some heavier gauge strings in it
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So he can spend 1/2 an hour setting the spring tension and tuning only to find out he still has fret buzz ?

Comment

I wouldn't think that turning the truss rod another 1/4 turn would correct a buzz on the 1st and 2nd strings on the 1st thru 5th frets. Wouldn't he have fret buzz across more than 2 strings? Doesn't that sound more like either a fret problem or even a slight neck twist? The only way to correct a slightly twisted neck is either professionally or by shimming the nut on a neck thru guitar right??

Comment

Working...
            X