JB pups in Sl-2s.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB pups in Sl-2s.......

Rick, I run a JB on most of my guitars (except the Gibsons of cours) through my Marshall and they sound fat and crunchy! Trace at Voodoo even said he thinks that JB's are the best pickup to run through his modded stuff. I haven't tried a Dimarzio TZ, the only one I ever played was a super D in a DK2.

Re: JB pups in Sl-2s.......

Man it sounded super thin in both of my Solsoists. And very fuzzy. The only Duncan I like is the Custom Custom. I Tried the JB, the Screamin Demon, The Distortion, the Custom, and afor the neck I've tried the Jazz and the 59.

I hear a lot of guys saying that the JB is a great pup, but I can't seem to get rid of mine [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

I thought the JB had a very nice sound in my mahogany set-neck/mahogany body/maple top Hamer, but it was still missing a little bit of low end. I liked the treble and high mid sound, but it just needed a little more low-end chunk, especially for palm muting. The '59, however, was an awesome neck pickup in that guitar, as well as any other guitar I've played with a '59, IMO. Though, that guitar now has EMG 81s which have a slightly scooped mid tone, but the low end is definitely better than the JB.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Joe,

Now imagine all that high end and lack of bass in an Alder body with an ebony fingerboard -YUK!

Comment

Yeah, yuck is right. And my Hamer even has a rosewood board.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick:
            Man it sounded super thin in both of my Solsoists. And very fuzzy. The only Duncan I like is the Custom Custom. I Tried the JB, the Screamin Demon, The Distortion, the Custom, and afor the neck I've tried the Jazz and the 59.

I hear a lot of guys saying that the JB is a great pup, but I can't seem to get rid of mine [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Geez, Rick - if I knew that's what you wanted I'd have traded you for your JB! I have two guitars with Tone Zones in them, and I have one extra that isn't mounted because it needs to be a direct screw-into-the-body type pickup. Give me a holler if you're lookin for more - we can work something out.

Comment

JB pups in Sl-2s.......

As you guys know I got my new Bengal Sl-2 and I love it! I hooked it up to my full rig for the first time and God, I hate the sound of the JB pup in it.

I didn't like it when I got my first one either, but after playing it for a while, I just couldn't get a sound I liked out of the thing.

It sounds thin and fuzzy. I can't wait till my Tone Zone comes in! The JB didn't sound all that bad in my little Peavy Rage 128. It sounded pretty think in that, but through my rack and my Marshall instant fuzz, kinda sounded like something was missing.

Comment

Chris - actually those long-leg pickups will work with a pickup ring, you just need longer screws (like Gibsons). I've got a long-leg/direct-mount-style Custom and Distortion in my KV Pro, and long screws for the rings. As long as the pickup route has those extra-deep holes on the edges of the route, you're good to go.

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
                  Chris - actually those long-leg pickups will work with a pickup ring, you just need longer screws (like Gibsons). I've got a long-leg/direct-mount-style Custom and Distortion in my KV Pro, and long screws for the rings. As long as the pickup route has those extra-deep holes on the edges of the route, you're good to go.

Newc
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey Newc-
                  Unfortunately, this time they won't work. I got them from Doug Trillian, but this particular one has the holes drilled out, so unless I were to use some bigger screw and attach a nut to the legs, I wouldn't be able to do it. So it's pretty much going to have to be relegated to direct mount only. I think the spring would probably slide through the holes as well, as they have been drilled fairly large. But I don't have a guitar for that at the moment! Hmmm - a reason to get a new guitar? [img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]

Rick - let me know if you're in the market to trade a Tone Zone for the JB - I'll hit your classified as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X