1980's Jackson Evolution (Logo's)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980's Jackson Evolution (Logo's)

I thought it would be cool to make some threadsd about the various changes Jackson guitars went through from the early San Dimas years into the late 80's Ontario years. One thread to look back to would be real handy. Since there are no "Jackson" books on the market like there is for many other brands guitars, this could be a valuable resource.

Because pics will make pages load slow, we can do a thread about a particular topic. This thread can be about various logo's.

[ April 02, 2003, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Re: 1980\'s Jackson Evolution (Logo\'s)

Pearl logoes on the headstock were started when Jackson decided to issue a USA Production line. This was in the spring of 1990. I have U00059 which was made exactly 13 years ago.

I am quite certain that the first Jackson had the hand scripted logo with "made in usa" or perhaps just "usa" after the logo. When the Rhoads became a regular model, the TM and "made in usa" came into use. This would have been in 1983. That lasted throughout the spring of 1986, which, while still San Dimas manufacture, the logoes went to the "R" and "made in usa" was out to the side of the logo.

There are "oddballs" too. Many of the late 80's archtop Soloists did not have "made in usa" on the headstock. Also, in 1989, many other models lacked the "made in usa" on the headstock too.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Great info! My May 1986 Soloist has the TM with "Made in USA" under the N, so there are still some popping up atleast that late. Like any change, I am sure there is a "transition" period where two styles overlap.

To add to the logo deal. I noticed that the no "Made in USA" logo on my '89 is smaller than typical Jackson logo's. Also, the finish over it had yellowed unlike my other Jackson's.

I also have a Pearl logo neck that is void of "made in USA", has the work order stamp and a work order # in the 3000's. I don't know what year it is, but it is definately a custom order as it has the "fins" running in the opposite direction (not mirrored) and a fully factory painted black rear. I am sure it is post JT6 trem era as it has a locknut with screws through the rear.

In a related topic: Headstock veneers. When did Jackson switch from fiber to black paint?

[ April 02, 2003, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Comment

great topic. My 1989 custom shop headstock says only Jackson. The J, K, and N all have star flashed on the top tips of each letter. That is because the entire guitar is done in a Satr Trek Starfield motif. [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img] It doesn't say TM or Made in the USA or anything other than Jackson.

Comment

guys... this is very interesting, please throw in some pictures... we could also ask the administrators for a special section in the board and gallery for this idea.

Comment

Here are some I can provide.

TM with "Made in USA" under the N

R with "Made in USA" beside "Jackson"

1989 No USA logo

Early Pearl logo

Notice how later truss rod covers end around the "A" string tuners unlike earlier models?

[ March 28, 2003, 01:19 AM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Comment

deleted....I see you only want through the 80's.

[ March 28, 2003, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: StukaJU87 ]
              Scott
              Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Yes, for now anyway. There are enough changes in the 80's to deal with. 90's and current could be dealt with seperately.

[ April 02, 2003, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Comment

Custom Shop headstock logos...

1984 San Dimas Student Soloist:

My 1989 Jackson Strathead Dinky with the rare small logo:

A pic of my 95 Warrior Custom... Mother of Pearl, shaded, no Custom Shop logo.

A pic of my 96 KV Custom... Abalone logo, with "Custom Shop" above the logo, not at the headstock tip.

A pic of my 2001 Custom Archtop Reverse, either fancy MOP or weak Abalone, with custom shop logo at tip...

My 2001 SL2GX headstock, even though it's not custom, it has the somewhat normal placement of the Custom Shop logo.

[ March 31, 2003, 02:25 AM: Message edited by: xenophobe ]
                  The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Just to add to this thread, my `89 Soloist Archtop Custom has the Pearl shaded logo with the R mark but no Made in USA label. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Shine:
                      Notice how later truss rod covers end around the "A" string tuners unlike earlier models?
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Isn't this just due to the Floyd nut being used? It appears to me that the JT6 and Kahler axes use ordinary nuts and their string locks are mounted over the truss rod covers?

'bane

[ March 31, 2003, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: Sunbane ]

Comment

Actually, SD era Floyd Nut truss covers do stick out more, but not as close to the A tuner as later models. On my guitars, the JT6 and Kahler locknuts are mounted differently. SD Kahler locknuts are mounted on top of a full size cover (a pain in the ass when you want to adjust the rod). JT6 nuts are mounted right onto the headstock face and a truss rod cover that is shaped to fit above and inside the truss rod nut well is used making it easy to adjust the rod with no need to remove the locknut. I also noticed that Jackson made shims for the JT6 locknut out of the truss rod cover material.

The earlier truss rod covers are also thinner than late 80's material.

Comment

Cool thread, I've got a LOT to learn!

Comment

I used to have charvel 5490 it had a strat headstock with a jackson logo tm just under the b post and made in usa under the tail of the n.
                            I considered it a transitional as it was made in jan 86. I had a 94 kelly abalone logo no made in usa.Still have 6583 a 87 jackson usa (san dimas neck plate) with the standard ontario logo.All are fantastic guitars.
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

AJ! Good to see a fellow FDP'er around! Vivian Campbell is around as well!

Okay..here is an update. I picked up a 1983 Rhoads and unlike my '84 Rhoads, it doesn't have a headstock overlay! The decal is identical to the other SD guitars I have.

Comment

Working...
                              X