Neck thru construction.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck thru construction.

After having my new SL2H for a while, I've found myself wondering what type of Neck thru consturction Jackson uses. Are the wings of the body glued right to a big honkin' block of maple or is the body shape made, then top routed all the way down to the bottom and the neck then glued in?

Just curious.

Re: Neck thru construction.

The neck is shaped, the fretboard and frets are installed, and then very rough-shaped blanks are glued to the sides of the neck. After the glue is dry, the body is shaped and the routing is done.

There is a custom shop tour here that Rob Lane did, and you can see all the steps in the process.

Comment

Cool! Thanks for the link.

Comment

No prob.

Comment

Yeah What Noodles said [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

http://www.jacksoncharvelworld.net

Comment

That link is cool. Thanks for reminding us.
            "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Yeah, thanks for the link! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Actually, it doesn't quite show their techniques on that page... there are three main ways they do necks on their pointies.

1) Standard: Slab of quartersawn maple has a headstock blank glued on at about the 2nd fret at an angle (scarf jointed), and another blank placed by the heel of the neck. The length of the neck is actually 3 pieces of wood (headstock/neck/neck-heel-body) not including the fretboard. The neck is routed, then the sides (wings) are glued on. Then final body shaping takes place

2) 3 piece neck... three full lenghts of wood are laminated together. They're cut and routed, then the sides are attached. This style of neck has three pieces running the whole length of the neck and is much stiffer, but each piece of the neck runs the whole length of the guitar, and there is no seperate neck heel block.

3) Multi-Laminate: They take various woods and layer them, and then cut and attach the side wings. It is like the above neck, but with more layers.

Those are the three main types of necks that Jackson does on their neck-throughs. They've done other stuff early on, but the types I listed are current.

2) 3-piece
                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Jackson Charvel world is the first site I found when I caught my Jackson/Charvel bug years ago with a Model 5. I think I've been over every inch of that site, with Lillian Axe laying the whole time. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Hossman, is that your site? If so, what happened to the section with your collecton? It was mega-sweet...

Comment

That is so cool. Thanks for posting the "How'd they do that" link.

Comment

What year were those pics taken?
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                      X