AT-1T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AT-1T

Hey guys - I was wondering if anybody know, how does the AT-1T compare with an early 90's Soloist Archtop Pro? I know the AT is a bolt on vs. the neck through pro, both have ebony boards, the AT has no inlays and so on. Is the playability comparable? Were the AT-1's comparable with the soloist series?

Thanks

Re: AT-1T

I haven't played an Archtop Soloist, but I owned an AT2T (import version, same hardware and pickups) that I just recently sold. The neck on mine didn't feel as round as on a Soloist, but the fretboard was thicker than on most Jacksons I've played. The Armstrong JVA pickups on the ATs are medium-output at most. I'm usually a thrash/death metal player and didn't find the Armstrongs to be very good for that sort of thing, but if I wanted to play some of the slower Type O Negative tunes, they were great. The really strong suit of the Armstrongs, especially in the neck position, was clean tone -- crystal clear and far better than any Duncan I've encountered.
    sigpic

Comment

i played an at1 a couple years ago.
      the neck is much thicker than a soloist.
      the at1 sounds alot like a prs to me, almost a les paul like sound with less bass.
      i really like the guitar, but couldn't afford it back then [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

I still own and play regularly my AT1, and I agree that that it is similar to PRS in tone and construction. Since there are two Jacksons and two PRS guitars in my household (one of each for my son and me), I can tell you that the AT1 is every bit as good in build quality, playability, and tone as the PRS's. In fact, the locking Sperzals on my AT1 are easier to use than the original design locking cam design that PRS used. PRS has now gone to a locking tuner design similar to the Sperzals.

My AT1 is a keeper. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

The Jackson Soloist AT Pro was only available with a set neck, not a neck through. Also, the tops were real maple, not veneer. You already mentioned the bolt on issue. Both models were available as string through body. But the trem models were different because the Soloist Pro AT used the JT-590 Schaller and the AT-1 used the Wilkenson. The pickups in the AT-1 were Armstrong units and in the Pro were Jacksons. By far, the Soloist AT Pro kicks the hiney of the USA AT-1 in ALL regards.
          "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
          Gotta get away from here.
          Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
          Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Working...
          X