1989 Custom Shop Identification?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 Custom Shop Identification?

Those guitars were custom made to order, so while unusual, the stock top-mounted pickups & jack are certainly a possibility, so it could very well be legit (body shape looks about right to me). I've never seen a bolt-on custom with that config, but there was a Soloist with that config on E-bay a while back.

Does the trem cavity have the typical Jackson template stamped into it? (indicating work order, year of manufacture, etc.?)

The seller of that guitar told me he added the pickguard, but clearly since it has no rear control route it must have originally had some kind of pickguard. Perhaps he meant he had "replaced" the pickguard, which probably was needed to fit the replacement pickups. Hopefully he didn't have to drill any extra holes or route the body when he did that!

FYI at $404, it would look to be quite the deal. Tough to make out from the pics, but does the headstock have a graphic finish matching the body? That's VERY cool if it does (and would indicate it's legit since that would be very tough to fake).

(For the e-bay impaired, the guitar is here.)

[ March 18, 2003, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: Bert ]

Re: 1989 Custom Shop Identification?

i saw it, looked like a nice guitar but i was broke...congrats on the score...d.m.
    http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

My Jackson Strat style with a pickguard had the swimming pool route under the guard. Is this the case with yours? I would bet it is, and pickguards are cheap, so it well may not have been the three single layout stock. Could gave been 1 hum, 1 hum 2 singlse, 1 of each, 3 hums, whatever.

Comment

OK, new guy...

You avoided n00b mistake #1 by actually posting in the right Forum... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

You side-stepped n00b mistake #2 by clearly acknowledging Ontario point-of-origin, regardless of the san Dimas plate. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

You deftly skirted n00b mistake #3 by posting a plethora of the details necessary to answer your questions. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

But you missed something.... [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

WHERE ARE THE PICTURES?!?!?!?! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
        Pics are mandatory. We're all gear junkies, here. And no matter how much gear we may have, we still wanna see YOURS, [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ...

OBTW: Welcome to the asylum. You can check out anytime you like - but you can never leave.

[weedle weedle weeeeeeeeee.....]

<font size="-3">
        750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
        Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Anyways, that looked like a nice guitar. I'm assuming the body is original, since the back plate is engraved. Jackson did do that.

As for the pickups and arraignement, if you don't have the original hang tag, the only way to find out is to do an inquiry on the serial number.

Otherwise, GREAT SCORE! A graphic Jackson at a great price! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

The seller told me he changed the pickups & the pickguard.

The very end of my previous note on this thread has a link to the auction, BTW, which includes pictures of the guitar in question.

Comment

Ya mean I gotta click to see it? [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
              <font color="black">

[img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]

</font>
              Here's a little [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]

OK, you just skated by on that last one [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ...
              <font size="-2">
              750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
              Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Thanks for all the responses!!The headstock is painted with the same "star field" as the body.
                He told me that it came originally with 3 Jackson single coils and that the builder Mark Mcdonough made it for his brother Tom. Mark's signature is either in the neck pocket or the trem cavity. Unlike the other Jacksons or Charvels that I have had or have this one has a really fat neck that is very similar in profile to the Fender SRV. Where should I look for date codes or significant markings on the guitar. Also, what were the original pickups if I am to assume that it was 3 singles or maybe hum/sing/sing. Lastly, does anybody know if Mark Mcdonough ever worked at Jackson? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Looks kinda weird, i like the trem though. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

How does she play? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                  Facebook - Youtube

Comment

1989 Custom Shop Identification?

Hello, this is my first post on this site so please be gentle. I just purchased a 1989 Custom shop Jackson strat from Ebay. I am sure alot of you saw it. It is the Star Trek Jackson.
                    It is a traditional strat style body with 3 single coils and the Fender type jack plate. It has replacement Fender Texas Special pickups and electronics in it which is why I got such a great deal on it. On the back aluminum trem cavity cover is says Custom made in 1989 for Tom McDonough. I was told by the previous owner who bought it from Tom in 1993 that it was made by his brother Mark McDonough who worked at the Jackson factory. His signature is on the inside cavity of the guitar. Of course I know that the electronics are not original but I have never seen a San Dimas (Ontario, CA) strat with this configuration. It has a 22 fret neck and a Floyd Rose. Jackson script tuners. It has the San Dimas (made in Ontario) neckplate with serial # is 6834. What pickups did this originally come with and have any of you ever seen a "traditional" strat 3 pickup type layout and Fender type jack on a USA custom shop Jackson? It is gonna go great with my Zebra striped Charvel San Dimas ser # 18xx as soon as I return it to stock.

Comment

I forgot to mention that it has the Starship Enterprise painted on it with stars and a large planet. The completed Ebay listing # is 2514293104 .

Comment

oh, you're a hard bastard, nor [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

welcome to the JCF, jgcable. Congrats on the axe too

BTW. "weedle weedle weeeeeee....." is about as close to a "solo" as I've managed to date. Some day soon I'll get the second bar down too. And THEN I start on Michael Row Your Boat Ashore [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ March 19, 2003, 06:13 AM: Message edited by: VitaminG ]
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

I haven't received the guitar yet. It should be arriving in around 3 days. I have had many Charvels but only a few Jacksons. I had a really nice reverse headstock Predator that I really regret selling. I also had an original 1st year Van Halen model that was red with the white stripes. Lots of model 1's, model 5DX and a few model 6's. My favorite is my San Dimas Zebra serial # 18xx. I am pretty sure I bought it new in 1983 for around $1200.00. I am hoping that no additional holes were drilled for the new pickguard. There is a good possibility that there wasn't because it looks like an 8 or maybe 9 screw pickguard which would have been correct. If it was 11 hole than I am sure extra holes would have been drilled. I am gonna return it to stock as soon as I can find out from anybody what part # Jackson single coils might have come in it or what Dimarzio/Seymour Duncan single coils were available in 1989. I think that it might have had a hum/sing/sing config because of the Floyd Rose. You don't see to many 3 single guitars with Floyds. If that is the case I am gonna purchase vintage 1989 pickups for it either Dimarzio, Jackson or Seymour Duncan. Do you think the knobs might have been black painted brass? I bet they were and I also bet that there was only 1 volume and 1 tone and possible even a 3 pos toggle instead of the 5 pos Fender slide switch. So many questions... so little answers!! [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

Do any of you know what model pickups would have most likely came in this guitar if it was s/s/s or h/s/s? Also would it have had 1 volume and 1 tone or 1 volume and 2 tone controls? What did the knobs look like in 1989? Were they black painted brass like my 1983 San Dimas Charvel? I want to restore her back to stock.

Comment

Working...
                            X