Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did the "Jackson" brand pickups come out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did the "Jackson" brand pickups come out?

Anyone know just when they came out?

Re: When did the "Jackson" brand pickups come out?

By 1985 they were in full production and wound in house by Jackson. I would say with strong confidence they were appearing in 1984. The majority of the San Dimas Jacksons had them as stock pickups. I have three SD Soloists from early 1985 and all had them. I have an SD Rhoads with a pair of the J-50's.

The first models were the J-50 humbucker and the J-100 single coils. By 1987 all the models made in the USA by Jackson were complete: J-100, J-200, J-50, J-80, J-90, J-95, all of the "C" models of the latter mentioned, and all of the bass guitar pickups plus the active circuits like the JE-1000, JE-1200, JE-1500, and all the bass circuits.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Thanks man! I have a SD era Soloist here that had a bit of a story behind it. I pulled the pickups and they are a J-50 Humbucker and two J-100 single coils. I just wanted to be sure it was stock before I proceded to trade on it.

Comment

That would likely be the stock pickup arrangement. Most people don't care for those Jackson made pickups and swap them out for Duncans, EMG's, or Dimarzios. But if originality is what you're trying to establish, those are the ones!
        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
        Gotta get away from here.
        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I agree, I typically don't like these pickups, but so far I don't mind these particular ones. The coil tap actually makes a good sounding humbucker/single coil sound, unlike most I have used in the past. I will keep them in until I tire of them. So far I do feel they sound better than the Lawrence pickups in my "Red Storm" Strat.

[ March 14, 2003, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Comment

God I hate lawrence pickups. A few of the guitars I have with Jackson pickups scream.. most notably the J50c and the J95s... just my opinion though. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Xeno, I believe the Lawrence pups that were used in Jacksons were the imitation brand made my Stewmac. The real Bill Lawrence pups are supposed to be pretty good.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
              X