Best Jackson years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Jackson years?

I was curious, is there any opinions out there as to the "best" years for Jackson guitars? I have heard a bunch of things online and off, some saying certain years were better than others (as far as quality goes)?

Re: Best Jackson years?

Great question, and there will never be a definite answer. In fact, here's my politician's answer for ya:

Originality:

The first Jackson guitars. The Soloist and Rhoads models defined the times. Radical departures from the norm of the day. Long live the San Dimas (Glendora) era!!! 1982 - 1986

Playability:

The early USA Production years (1990 - 1992). Finest necks around. It's the neck throughs that kick a$$: Warrior, Rhoads, and Soloist. Comfortable profiles, just smooth butter.

Tone/Looks/Playability:

The modern era (1996 - 2002). I have three Soloists, a pair of Kings, two Rhoads, and a Dinky. I've owned five others that I sold recently, so I can say the latest creations are quite perfect. Great necks, great pickups, great hardware, great everything. My 2001 Snakeskin SL2H is my number 1 having replaced my San Dimas Soloists and early Ontario Rhoads.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I noticed you left out the years 1987-1989 and 1993-1995. Are those bad years, and why did you leave them out?
      Just curious.
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

The best year was last year. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I'm still not done picking neck splinters out of my hair.

Comment

Thanks for the input! Anyone else have opinions?

Comment

Personally, for the Custom Shop, I'd say from about 87-02 are/were the best years for Jackson. Nothing compares to the newer Ontario Custom Shop guitars, IMO.

I have very little experience with Standard Production Jacksons. I think I've only owned 2 and played a few dozen here and there. Most of my Jacksons are Custom Shop.

Sure,they might have made a LOT of nice guitars, but I contend that quality and tone have improved since the move from Glendora. JMO.

[ March 09, 2003, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: xenophobe ]
            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I been finding I like San Dimas era and early Ontario neck shapes. Later necks feel a little too thin.

Comment

I don't think you can go wrong with any era of USA Jacksons. They have definitely changed, though. Play a San Dimas Soloist sometime and you'll see--they mostly had medium sized necks with low-wide frets and were clearly aimed at Gibson users. That's how I saw them at the time--an updated and hipper Gibson. On the neck-thrus, the thin necks and ultra-jumbo frets mostly came later in the '80s after the Ontario move.

As far as the imports go, the '86-91 import Charvels/Jackson Pros are the absolute best. I haven't been as impressed with later import Jacksons, although the current DK2 is pretty happenin'.

Comment

I noticed you left out the years 1987-1989 and 1993-1995. Are those bad years, and why did you leave them out?
                  Just curious.

--------------------
                  I`ve got in my collection, an`88 Dinky, `89 Soloist Custom and an `89 Soloist Archtop Custom.
                  In my opinion, they just feel better than the later Jackson`s that I have. Don`t get me wrong though, all the Jackson`s that I have owned from whatever period have been awesome, I don`t play anything else.
                  Steve

Comment

Working...
                  X