Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double finishes?

Thats cool to know.

As a painter the general rule of thumb is to use primer that is lighter than the final color. An exception is when you want a dark color. If I want a deep navy blue I will usually go with a black primer. Ferrari red is rather bright. Placing a darker color below it doesn't seem intentional to me.

Also, this guitar also features a white primer coat below the darker red. I wonder if the guitar was ordered in Ferarri Red with lightning bolt airbrush, they sprayed it red but it wasn't the correct shade so rather than start over they simply blew the correct shade on over it.

Maybe the reason for the other color below your sparkles is that they wanted a highlight effect. I sometimes will use another color base with a pearl or sparkle to give it a highlight effect and color changing brillance.

[ March 05, 2003, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Re: Double finishes?

Also, paint fades. You may actually be looking at 2 coats of the same color, but the top faded.

Matt

Comment

I thought that at first, but there are chips in concealed areas as well (In the neckpocket, pickup routes) that has the same look where paint would not be prone to fading much.

I just took these pics, I hope the color difference comes through. I had to deal with poor lighting.

In the first pic here is the control cavity. Obviously after the first red was applied, they decided to tape the area where the control holes are perhaps to keep the paint thin in the area. When they removed the tape it tore and left alot of tape behind, some is still covered in the second shade of red.

In the second pic this is another taped off part of the cavity. For some reason it looks opposite to how it does in person..the paint on the left of the tape line is darker than the right.

Here is the trem spring route..this is not as noticeable as in person, but to the upper right of the cavity floor the paint is darker than the bottom area.

[ March 05, 2003, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Comment

Double finishes?

Back in the old days at Fender any guitar that had a wood flaw that appeared after a sunburst was sprayed, or any finish flaw sent the body back into the spray line and it was finished over in another color. Now that the paint is chipped and or worn through, you can see the first color on the base. Somtimes you see sunburst, red, green, metallic blue etc.. under another factory color.

I now wonder if Jackson did this often. My red lighting bolt guitar has another shade or red underneath the "Ferrari" red frinish. It is a darker, almost fire engine red and is definately factory. Does anyone else have another color showing through the dings in their Jackson?

[ March 05, 2003, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Comment

I don't, Jim, but on some of my Jacksons there are "built in" shades of color. For example, I have a silver sparkle and a fuscia sparkle finish on two different Soloists. If you look closely at them underneath the metal flake sparkle is a slightly different shade of the color that is dominant in the paint. Perhaps even with true solid colors like Ferrari Red there were varying levels of undercoat (primer?) to achieve the desired color. I had an early 90's era Soloist in Ferrari Red that had a small ding on the side. The under color was white, no other shades of red. I just don't understand enough of the art of painting to know how they achieve various colors.
          "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
          Gotta get away from here.
          Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
          Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I know alot of transparent guitars that just don't look right or have flaws sometimes end up being repainted solid colors or graphics. Also, alot of times you will see the primer underneath as well.

Matt

Comment

i dont know i had a irredesent baby blue bcrich the base coat was a much different DARKER blue, & underneath that was LT GREY & underthat a white primer. & its was all factory because the headstock matched but didnt have any of the base coats , the headstock also faded at a differently than the rest of the body

Comment

Working...
              X