Y2KV Korina???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y2KV Korina???

Hey...this may be a stupid question but I just got a new Y2KV the other day and was told it was Korina (trans black). I don't really know how to tell (not sure what the grain and such would look like). I tried to call customer service in Scottsdale but they didn't have a whole lot of info. It doesn't really matter a ton to me but I would like a definitive answer.

Re: Y2KV Korina???

Korina isn't trans black.. Korina is basically just wood with no paint on, just a clearcoat finish on the guitar.

Comment

they wouldn't do a trans black finish over Korina???

Comment

they could if they wanted to... what exactly is your question? lol

Comment

I wanted to confirm if the one I have is Korina or not. I thought maybe someone here could either confirm that they made some Y2KV's in Korina or possibly tell me some tell tale signs to look for...

Comment

Most guitars with Korina are not painted over. I've never heard of a Y2KV with Korina. They were all mahogany, as far as I know. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[ March 04, 2003, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Joel had some pics of Korina Y2KVs when he went to the custom shop a few months ago but they were all natural, ie no stain.

Comment

OK...how about a picture?

Comment

If I had to guess from the picture I would say it was mahogany but I had a Y2KV and the grain is really hard to get in a picture.

Here is a link to the thread that I was talking about. See the pics with the bullseye guitars. There are Korina, Black and Mahogany Y2KVs in the pictures. Hope this helps a little

Y2KV

Also, here is a link to the warmoth page for wood types.

[ March 05, 2003, 12:10 AM: Message edited by: KV_X ]

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to look. I was told it is Korina and I have no reason to think otherwise. I thought maybe someone here might have some inside info to help me confirm this. I am happy with the guitar either way.

Comment

Originally posted by scaz:
                      Thanks for taking the time to look. I was told it is Korina and I have no reason to think otherwise. I thought maybe someone here might have some inside info to help me confirm this. I am happy with the guitar either way.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Production Y2KVs, which I assume your's is, were all mahogany. It is possible this one was custom ordered with Korina, which I understand is getting extremely difficult to come by and thus would have been very expensive. Older Dave Mustaine signature guitars (KV1s) and KV2s came in Korina as a standard production option up until a couple of years ago. Perhaps your dealer was thinking of that.

Comment

howdy!
                        i had jackson build me a flamed [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] korina y2kv with all gold hardware. the color is amber .... she's simply a beauty [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

The only Korina's I've seen were natural and not trans finishes. Tim Wilson said there are some Korina KV's out there that were painted solid colors though because he said the grain patterns of the wood weren't good enough to stain over. I know Korina is supposed to be a fairly light weight wood...isn't mahogany a little heavy? If so then you may want to weight your axe and compare it to the weight of someone's solid colored Y2K.

- Joel
                          RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
                          RIP Dime

Comment

Weight...

How much does it weigh?... a korina y2kv should be noticeably lighter than a mahogany one...

Comment

Bump from the dead
                              This space for rent

Comment

Working...
                              X