Pickup change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pickup change?

Yeah, I have several guitars with 81's in the bridge, and they are a bit thin... I'm having my Custom KV (at the shop right now) wired with the 85b/81n. Can't wait till I get her back! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

xeno, just dont do what I did, and switch the duncans back and forth. . doesnt sound good.

Comment

Laugh if you will, but pick up (pun intended) a used Jackson J90C on E-Bay for $30.00 or less, then remove the cover. My Model 2 has a J90C and my DX10X has a Duncan Designed, which is the import version of a JB. I can tell a definite difference. The J90C is warmer, fatter, smoother, and better balanced. The DD's sound thinner and more trebly.
        Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

i really recomend the revers zakk wylde (ok spelling isn't my best virtue) 85b 81n the 81 in the neck is so awesome! it really has that bluesy bite to it. and the 85 is just a kickass pup all the way around. no matter where you put it, it sounds good. and at the bridge, its a monster! can't wait to get my new axe and drop them in. (bought 81/85 on ebay some time ago just for when i get a new axe. payed about 50 bucks a piece so it was like 2 for one.) i love ebay, i think i'm getting addicted. anyway. i got my first charvel when i was 14. it was a model 3 inwhich my parents paid half for my birthday and i had to pay the other half with my allowance. it had an 81 and 2 sa's. (the old 81's - there's a slight sound diff.) i was at my bands practice space and this guy in a grounge rock band (before the whole seattle thing so we didn;t call it grunge just rock) wanted to run my guitar through his rig. i said ok so he cranked it up through his marshall jubalee and was just blown away. he kept playing the same chord progression slower and slower and just couldn't belive how good it sounded. he was like "man i can hear every string. this axe sounds great!" and it was a very far from metal sound.
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Has anyone here used the EMG-58 (precursor to the 85)? I had one of these (was stupid and sold it with a guitar) and I can swear it was the phattest EMG I ever had. =/

'bane

Comment

i have to say that the jb is a very interesting pickup. i had it in a charvel model 3 (alder body) and it sounded a bit thin. so i swapped it out into a warmoth mahagony body and it sounded huge.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane:
                Has anyone here used the EMG-58 (precursor to the 85)? I had one of these (was stupid and sold it with a guitar) and I can swear it was the phattest EMG I ever had. =/

'bane
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The 58 is supposed to be like a P-90 single coil, and it is a little noisy just like one. EMG created the 85 to take its place, but they will still make the 58 if you call them. I believe Chuck @ Kickaxe guitars (also a member here) had two of them in a guitar he just bought. He said they were like a P-90 on steroids. I think he also put them in the Classifieds for sale.

[ February 26, 2003, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by myorangecat:
                  You know, I had the same problem, this damn JB sucks in my guitar.

What I did was put the jb in the neck, and man, hit was a nice sound, not the best, but good, then i tried the neck in the bridge (forget what is standard in Sl2Hs) and it wasnt good.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">A lot of people say the JB works better in a mahogany guitar. That pickup is focused more on high mids and treble. I have the JB/59 combo in my Hamer Special that's all mahogany, and it sounds really nice, but I still feel it could use a tiny bit more low end. It's actually the only JB I've ever owned, too. Some people also say QC might be an issue with them, too, as there's supposedly a difference in sound with a lot of them.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                  X