should I put emgs in my Jackson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: should I put emgs in my Jackson?

I thought Mikey used DiMarzios!!! Just wasn't too sure... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Micheal Romeo used to use EMGS in his ESP together with a Triaxis and he sounded killer.....but for some reason he changed to Dimarzios and POD, and now he sounds like ****

Comment

anyone one know which EMGS he used?

Comment

that sounds dangerouse, im a melodic shreder [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] , i dont need to blow walls down. any other suggestions. 85 bridge and neck maybe? Ive heard the 81 can sound a little bright and I dont want a super bright thin sound

Comment

Im thinking something along of Symphony X Dream Theater sound....not Sepultura

Comment

I don't know the entire story, but I read an interview with Romeo where he said that in the studio he uses the POD only for the cleaner parts, while distorted parts are still recorded with the Triaxis. He does use the POD Pro for everything on the road, though--but I think that's a matter of convenience since these guys don't have a large touring budget. Having every sound come out of one amp IS pretty convenient, regardless of what one thinks of the Line6 sound. He was trying out a Vetta on the road on their opening stint for Blind Guardian last year, but the damned thing blew up onstage somewhere in Texas, and he has gone back to the POD Pro.

As far as pickups, I was under the impression that the EMGs were used for much of the rhythm guitar work in the studio, where the X2N guitars come out to play on the leads. Of course, I could be wrong about all this, but that's what I seem to recall reading. It would be easy enough to check it out, since every interview he's done online is linked off of www.symphonyx.org.

In any event, I really like his sound on "V" and "The Odyssey"--more so than the earlier albums--whatever the hell the equipment he's using.

Comment

Sorry, the period got incorporated into the link in my post above. Here it is:

www.symphonyx.org

Comment

Absolutely. I put EMGs in my Soloist many years ago. I put an 89 in the bridge, with a push/pull on the volume knob to switch from humbucking to single coil. I have an SA at the neck. I also have the variable EMG-SPC presence control, a must have. It makes the SA at the neck sound like a humbucker, and it makes the 89 sound extremely fat for metal. No noise in any of these configuaration. The guitar is so dam versatile, it's riduculous. Everybody that has ever heard it has been really impressed. Do it! EMGs rock! They were made for Soloists.

Comment

Yes I get a great clean sound into a CAe3+se preamp with my 81s at 18 volts and PA-2 preamp. I'll admit though for angelic clean and some lead tones, I switch off the PA-2. I use the PA-2 mostly to get a low E brutality that isn't there with straight EMG.

Comment

They don't have the new site up yet.

Comment

i have never seen a need for the ps-2 preamp unless you are running an emg with a non emg pup. you can use the pup hight of the neck to even out the volume difference.

if you have a double hum and want single coil option you can get the 89 (85/sa) but turn it around backwards so that the single coil option is closer to the neck. (when it splits the hum it uses the side closest to the logo for the single coil)

as far as 81 vs 85. for a traditional metal sound 81b 85n but if you want a bluesier more twang in the neck then try the 81 there (thats how KH gets his bluesy lead tone)the 85 will be similar in the bridge but with less scoup for a warmer sound yet still dark. this works well for thinner bodies like the gibson sg. but will sound great in any guitar.
                        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

i have never seen a need for the ps-2 preamp
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Is that the new Playstation Preamp? Haha...

Never seen a need for it? [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img] Yeesh..

Humor aside, the PA-2 is a VERY good add-on for EMGs unless your are using a POD (then nothing helps).

They will slam a good tube amp nicely and really make it brutal. Slayer uses them. But, they really aren't that brutal.

My CAE3+se LOVES the PA-2. And it makes a major diffference in the brutality of the low E grind...

Solid state things might not utilize the PA-2 so well..

Comment

Kirk Hammett has a bluesy lead tone? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

Only when he garbles it all up with a WAH.

Matt

Comment

Oh har har. A Hammett comment with the word wah in it. How original! [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                                X