Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pickup Selection for MetalHeads and their USAs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Selection for MetalHeads and their USAs...

How many of you shredheads stick with the pickup selection made by the Jackson folk? Typically meaning a JB bridge and whatever they put in the certain model as the neck pup ranging from the 59 to the Jazz. Tell me what you did/didn't like about the matched pups with the alder and whatnot. Thanks.

Re: Pickup Selection for MetalHeads and their USAs...

I haven't taken out any of my stock USA pickups. I got a TB-4 in the bridge and SH4 on the neck for all of my USA Jacksons except for my Kelly, which has 2x EMG85s...still good stuff.

Comment

Re: Pickup Selection for MetalHeads and their USAs

I've only had a few Jacksons or Charvels where I actually liked their pickup selection. My strathead has a J50C in the bridge... It's hotter than a standard J50 and sounds much nicer. I usually prefer an EMG 81 or 85 in my guitars.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

JB + '59 is the ticket

Comment

I change all of mine. I tried many pickups - Gibson Dirty Fingers, Dimebag Daryl, Invader, Dimarzios including the Evolution, Bill Lawrence, etc...

I keep going back to a Duncan Custom.

However I found this guy recently called Aero Instruments who makes the best pick up I have heard so far. He has a website, is a great guy and seems to really know his stuff.

Pickups are $125 so they are not cheap but they are killer. His key is to design a pick up that won't color the sound - it transmits the guitars "natural sound."
          Sort of a killer PAF.

He can make them in any magnet configuration, has single and double and has a special pickup to work with a splitter.
          PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I'm a Rio Grande fan.
            Had them put into my RR1 and a Hamer Standard.
            Am toying with a sa/sa/89 combo for an SL1 though.
            Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

jb + jazz : dont fix what aint broken [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Im an EMG guy. Maybe its because whatever guitar you slap them in, it will sound good. I also like the clean flat look of EMGs. They are quiet and I dig their sound. Im an 81/89 combo or maybe 81/85. Im thinking of putting them into my Y2KV, as well as swapping out the hardware for black hardware, if I dont sell my Y2. EMGs sound good to me so I will just stick with them until I find something else.

Comment

I never liked the JB. I like the JB Jr in the bridge of the older Warriors that had the dual singles at the bridge, but I really don't like the JB humbucker in the bridge of any guitar. I do like them in the neck, though.
                  I prefer the Duncan Distortion in the bridge for the shred-type tones (don't need a high-gain amp, either) and the Custom's good for more melodic stuff that has breathing room instead of just blazing away.
                  I also like the Screamin Demon, and want to try a Custom Custom and Custom 5.
                  The 59 is good for a Classic Rock type of tone, but I had one in the neck of a guitar and did not like it for anything other than Classic Rock tones. Melodic Satch-type lead lines came out sounding too gritty and raspy, and the cleans weren't shimmery enough, even when split. Still sounded gritty.

Newc
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

What jackson16 said. I use 81 , 81/81, 81/85 or 81/60 in different guitars. I did keep by 2001 SL2H stock though and must admit that I am not that excited about the pickups in it generally. However, to be different, I am going to keep the guitar stock. It doesnt get played that much anyway!
                    "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

EMGs here

Comment

EMG's in any mahogany bodied guitar.
                        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

'59/JB or EMG 81/81.

Comment

If I stay passive I usually go with a Duncan Custom or sometimes a Distortion for the bridge, ´59 or Jazz @ neck. I prefer the JB as a neck pickup, like Newc, but it´s too overpowering to load all my HH axes with that setup. Singles then tend to end up becoming a Cool Rails and a Lil´59 or JBJr.

On some I use EMGs, 85 bridge and SA for the most part, sometimes an 81 neck.

Although I´m currently converting a few of my earlier Ontarios back to the original pickups [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I usually change mine, but not all of them. 81's for single hum, 81's in bridge and neck of 2 hum guitars, 81/SA/SA in the soloists. Some I have left stock just for a different sound.

Comment

Working...
                              X