Pre-Fender USA Collectibility?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pre-Fender USA Collectibility?

logic has it that any guitar of vintage construction by any major manufacturer will appreciate in price in regards to the age of the instrument. Look what happened to Fenders. When CBS took over everybody said (rightly so) that the guitars were junk and everybody wanted preCBS Fenders. Time went on and the preCBS prices continued to soar but now look at the prices of 70's Fenders and they are getting bigger bucks cause of their vintage status. Oddly enough now the Japanese Fenders of the 80's are getting bigger bucks (rightly so) because of their quality and are now quite collectable. Same thing has happened to Norlin era Gibsons and one of those crappy Les Pauls from the 70's and those 335's with those horrible skinny necks and volutes are getting vintage prices even though they were recognized as inferior to older Gibsons.Got to be honest and say that some of the mid 80,s Jacksons like the sunglass one on ebay and the Nagel print they had up look collectable as hell and are so much a definition of an era and are superior instruments to boot and those are more the criteria for collectability than what quality instruments a manufacturer is producing in the present.

Comment

Fender acquired Jackson to try and grab a market share is has NEVER had a piece of. This coming from people inside Fender, directly to me. Fender WILL NOT tank Jackson any more than AMIC did. AFAIK, they're not even moving the overseas production to Mexico. They are not moving the Custom Shop. The guitars will be made by the SAME DAMN PEOPLE AT THE SAME DAMN PLACE. If prices fluctuate it will be due to seller greed and buyer stupidity and nothing else. Wait a couple of years until Fender alone is making the Jackson decisions, then we'll talk.

Comment

My Understanding is that AMIC not only let the custom shop go down hill they even considered closing it at one point .. so explain to me how AMIC didn't tank it..

[ December 24, 2002, 11:36 PM: Message edited by: KMaynard ]
        Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

"Fender WILL NOT tank Jackson any more than AMIC did."

Key part there is ANY MORE THAN AMIC DID. I think Fender is going to treat J/C right. They have no reason not to.

Comment

They have EVERY reason not to:

[img]graemlins/fart.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            Newc
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Actually, in reality many of the 70's Strats are still not fetching what they cost brand new when you factor in inflation and the value of a buck. As an example, a tremolo model maple neck Strat listed for $790 in 1979 minus case. That equals $1960.30 in 2002 dollars. 1979 Strats, although may be marketed at high prices actually only sell for half of that original value today. Inflation alone makes items appear to appreciate in value. A 1974 Strat (more valuable than a '79) listed for $380 new in a regular color. That equals $1,457.88 in todays money, so those guitars are at the point where they are just cresting over their original value and are beginning to actually appreciate.

Comment

NEWC ~ [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I think that it will be interesting to see what Fender does with the Japanese production... Fender Japan has a LONG standing relationship with the Fugigen Gaki factory (they may even own a percentage, but I'm not sure about that) and it would seem to be in Fender's best interests to move high end overseas Jackson production there to consolidate their Japanese manufacture... Of course, that would mean that you'll have Jackson guitars being made in the same factory as Ibanez guitars [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I can't wait...

Comment

I can I order that in a pile of skulls? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  www.kiddhavok.com
                  www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

Yup. With a B-bender and Fishman Transducer also! YeeeHAW!

Newc
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Hey, my custom shop model really gets around! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Yeah, the "pre-Fender" crap is just that: Crap. But even one of Jackson's biggest dealers, Lloyd at GuitarXpress, is perpetuating it (if not in so many words) with his putting "with a build date prior to Nov. 1, 2002" in the product descriptions. I still think the short period of time he had the near-MSRP sale prices up he was trying to ride that wave of crap.
                      please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

The 2003 "Tele-Kelly"...for that last set of the night where you segue from "Symphony of Destruction" into "Start Me Up"! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ December 27, 2002, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: surfdork ]

Comment

I was thinking more like a segue from "If I had a Hammer" to "Hammer Smashed Face".

Comment

Ok that Tele-Kelly is just plain UGLY.

Note to self do not combine fender and Jackson in a custom shop model. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
                            I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

Working...
                            X