My wife called, I can join the Kelly cult today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My wife called, I can join the Kelly cult today

Fedex dropped off my brand new Kelly today - whoohoo!

Now if UPS would see fit to bring me my $@#$@#%$@#% Big Red!!!!
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Re: My wife called, I can join the Kelly cult today

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] sweet. What color?

Comment

Pics please. [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

Comment

Re: My wife called, I can join the Kelly cult toda

Yea pics!!!
        [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

You'll get pics when I'm good in ready (and I'll be ready when I can find the fuckin' battery charger for my camera [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]).

Anyway, I sat down to play it for a while tonight. I've never even played a Kelly before so this thing is very new to me.

It needs a setup for sure. The neck feels good but the action is whacked. It needs to settle in for a few days and adjust to things here of course.

Is it just me or is the volume knob in a really shitty place? I keep hitting the stupid thing and turning myself down. I guess it takes getting used to. The upper fret access sort of bites - it's fine to the 21st or 22nd fret but them last two are sort of suck ass.

It's got a pair of EMGs in it so it sounds pretty decent - very clear and loud.

I plugged it into my Dr. Z Maz Sr. through the EVH phaser and it was pretty cool but after a while of that I felt compelled to play some more metal sounding stuff so I broke out the Vetta II. Once you see the guitar it will be obvious that this was not intended for a smokey old blues club playing through a tweed Fender [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. Through the Vetta this thing cooked pretty good.

It's going to take some getting used to this guitar - it really feels and reacts very different than any of my other guitars - I was sort of surprised by that.

Overall first impressions are very good. The guitar plays ok (will be better soon) and sounds very good. It is very light. Fit and finish is very good. It looks great - but then none of you can tell now can you? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

- Newc

Comment

I thought Kelly would play like Explorer.
            How does it compare to your Explorer?

Comment

The Kelly is a fantastic shape. It wears better on me standing up compared to Strat and Superstrat styles, balancing perfectly and the whole neck is shifted over to the left a little bit due to the location of the strap pins. Congrats! Can't wait to see pics. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Fantastic news HippieTime - the Kelly shape's biggest difference is that the neck is way over to the right - you think you are playing at the 7th and you are on the 9th... Takes a little getting used to but I love it. As for the vol pot - it never seems to get in the way of me but I guess maybe I pick nearer the neck?

Anyway - get some pics and head over to the cult [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

R

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I thought Kelly would play like Explorer.
                  How does it compare to your Explorer?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is nothing like my Explorer. The basic body shape is sort of similar but the neck is completely different and they sound completely different. My Explorer is definitely more of a Gibson vibe whereas this Kelly is all Jackson [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

- Newc

Comment

The volume knob always got in my way on my old kelly too.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Fedex dropped off my brand new Kelly today - whoohoo!

Now if UPS would see fit to bring me my $@#$@#%$@#% Big Red!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

How does that Washburn Dime play? I think you need little bit more guitars. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I traded a Carvin bass and some MIDI stuff for the Dime. It played really good believe it or not. I hate to admit it but I think it looks kinda cool too. I ended up selling it for other gear though. They can be had for very little money these days considering the quality of the guitar.

I was at Sam Ash the other day and they had one of the $300 Dimes in camo - I thought that was pretty cool.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                        X