Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dinky neck

Hi,

I was wondering how much the neck on a standard Dinky could be compared with a 'speedneck'? Or is this the one actually used?
    Can the PC1-neck be compared to either one?
    Also, if I remember correctly the KV has the speedneck?
    And to go a little further in this, IF the speedneck is used on the KV, then I guess neck-through-body construction isn't limited to thicker necks like on RR's and soloists? (I know, this last thing isn't really a question but a conclusion. I just thought neck-thu's automatically had a 'thicker' neck)

thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Dinky neck

Never played a PC1, but a PC-2 was more similar to a thicker Ibanez neck... The DK-1 necks are a bit thinner than a "speed neck" profile.

No. The custom shop can make a much thinner neck on a neck-thru than the standard speed neck profile. There is one backshape, I'm not sure what they call it, but it's a "D" profile... often referred to as a neck with the "flat spot" that runs down the back. It's probably close to 3/16" thinner than the speed neck on a KV.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Sounds like you want something similar to a Charvel pointyhead or DK1 neck profile - very thin and flat. Yes, the custom shop can do any profile on a neckthrough.

For each of the standard production models' measurements, click on "resources" above and go to the last couple of pages in the 2003 catalog.

Comment

My DK-1's neck is thicker than any Jackson neck I've played. Much thicker that the Jackson imports. My Model A's have a very thin neck much like an Ibanez RG series only wider. My SLS is thin and wide as well. Oh and perfect. If the necks on the SL2H is anything like the SLS I'll be having one of those shortly.

Comment

Read the measurements. The DK1's neck is the thinnest in the USA line-up. The only possible exception might be the new Charvel USA Standards, but they haven't published the measurements for those. (..Wish they would, though.)

Comment

Well I must have a strange one then. Its a 2001 DK-1. And I'm tellin ya its thicker then anything I have or have had in ten years.

Comment

I recently got a new DK-1 (2004) and the neck is probably thinner than any other Jackson I have. It is definitely thinner than my 2 SL2Hs (an '01 and an '03 I believe).

All the neck widths are posted on the jackson site and the DK-1 has the thinnest specs.

Comment

Ok I just did a rough measurement with a tape between my DK-1 and SLS. They are both nearly the same width at just over 3/4 of an inch (remember this is a rough measure). My DK-1 must feel thicker because its not as wide. Or do I have some kinda strange guitar here? Its the only DK-1 I've played.

Comment

Generally speaking, when people talk about neck "thickness" they mean the measurement from the back side of the neck to the top of the fretboard. Those are the measurements I mentioned above, that appear in the back of the catalog. Typically done at the 3rd and 12th frets, as the thickness varies at different points on the neck.

Not to be confused with the neck's width - a different concept. It is measured across the top of the fretboard at the nut. Most Jacksons have a 1 & 11/16ths nut width. These are also shown on the same catalog pages.

And - to be more confusing - sometimes people confuse "thickness" with "backshape". The terms are often used interchangably, but really do mean different things. Backshape means the "roundness" of the shape on the back of the neck. Sometimes referred to as letter shapes "C", "D", etc. (Think of the back of the neck as the shape of the letter, so a D neck would be flatter than a C.) i.e., Two necks can have the same thickness measurements, but different backshapes.

Comment

oh, I've always thought of D shape as a really thick, round neck [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img], stupid me.
                    thanks for the help so far, guys.
                    I thought the "speedneck" was the thinnest one available, so it seems not.

Comment

Well the custom shop couldn't seem to do it on my neck thru Warrior. I asked for the thin flat neck like stated and still came up with their new standard sized neck thru neck.
                      We must!
                      We must!
                      We must increase the bust!
                      The bigger the better!
                      The tighter the sweater!
                      The boys are counting on us!

Comment

S1, that doesn't surprise me at all.

I put a custom Charvel order in Feb-ish and, after hearing that the Winter NAMM pointyhead neck shape wasn't quite right, specified a wide/thin profile the same as an original SD Charvel. That's my favorite, and I wanted to make sure it was true. I had to correct the work order something like 4 or 5 times. First they put the Speed Neck, then Soloist, and so on. Every time I described it, they put something else on there, but not the right thing. They just did NOT seem to get it. The last version I saw just said "SD Charvel" and, by then, I was so frustrated I gave up. After hearing that the neck on the Summer NAMM Charvies were good, I'm a little more comfortable. ...But, basically, I'm riding on a hope and a prayer now.

I suspect the issue isn't with the guys doing the custom shop work. More likely whoever is taking the orders might not be familiar with J/C's neck shape history and specs. ..Just a guess, though.

Comment

Good luck dude. I went through the same thing with the calls. Still not right. It wasn't much thinner than my SL1. Bolt on necks they may do thinner. Because the DK1 neck is the thinnest of the new stuff I had felt. My last call I told them to make it like that. I think because it's neck thru they don't like going that thin anymore. Who knows. I was debating on having Lee fix it an make what I want. He knows necks.
                          We must!
                          We must!
                          We must increase the bust!
                          The bigger the better!
                          The tighter the sweater!
                          The boys are counting on us!

Comment

i heard he outsources his necks. but i don't know for sure.
                            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                            X