Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need opinions on shipping damage resolutions

Looking for some opinions/advice
    what would you do / what's reasonable and fair / and hell, what can I do to fix it

I bought a custom shop Soloist, was charged $100 for 3day UPS (which costs $60) but he says thats what 'The UPS Store' charged him. OK fine, I commited to buy without asking ship $ first & I paid without mentioning my disappointment.

It gets here in 3 days, I open the box, open the case and the knob is sitting sideways on the face of the guitar. And of course there are signs on the face of the guitar that the knob 'traveled' around inside the case during its journey.
    What a bumming experience, little white knurl marks and fine scratches scattered about the face of a nice black guitar.

What should be fair and reasonable as a resolution? I'm pretty sure he packed it, and went to the UPS Store as a 'nearest UPS counter'. The knob had zero tension holding it on which is hard to believe happened during transit, but 'did'.

The easiest solution would be charge back my VISA and ship it back, I'd be out maybe $30 for ground back, but no guitar, rather not as this guitar has me written all over it.
    I have my own ideas, but, am I shorting myself? or overextending on him? Since the initial trauma has worn off, I'm feeling guilty for thinking about it, but then wait a minute, I bought a guitar in condition A, received in condition B, no fair.

Also what can really be done to fix it? I hear wet sand and buff every blue moon, but that just sounds crazy. Refinish is obviously kinda extreme, so do I just live with the scars, keep any refund $, and assume I bought a 'more used' guitar?

Share your knowledge! heh & Thanx BTW.

Now, the damage isn't just mad crazy, it's minor I guess (but I didn't pay for minor to begin with damnit). Ah no that isn't minor, its speckled. Where is fair middle ground...

Re: Need opinions on shipping damage resolutions

BTW, here is a nice clean before shot

Comment

That's a first! Normally you hear about the trem bar rolling around, not a knob.

I'd see if the seller is willing to do a refund of $ for the damage. Figure out what you would've paid for the guitar if it already had that damage, and see if what the seller offers back would move the price towards something you'd feel comfortable with.

To collect from UPS, the seller would have to prove that it's UPS's fault. I don't think they'll pay for a loose knob rolling around, so the seller could be up the creek and end up getting nothing from UPS, so he might be inclined to offer a refund to save himself the bother.

A re-fin is probably going to be $200 to $300...IMHO

If you get a partial refund and keep it, you might be able to fill in the dings and scratches using some of that 'color-matched' black auto polish. At least that would hide the damage to the point it couldn't be seen from a couple feet away.

Beautiful guitar by the way. Makes ya frustrated, if only the seller would've checked the knob, would've taken 20 seconds to tighten.

Comment

That sucks. I agree. See if you can get some money back if you like the guitar that much. PS. That guitar is da bomb!

Comment

You bought that from a member here, didn't you?

Hmm.. hard call. Do what you think is best. Returning it and doing a chargeback may be the cleanest way out of it.

If I shipped it, and that happened, I'd feel sorry about it, but I wouldn't offer a partial refund. I'd accept it back for a full refund, but I wouldn't give you money back to keep it.
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I'm having Deja Vu for some reason..... [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

I swear someone's posted this exact same thread last year sometime, and the guy (buyer/complaintant) was blasted for being a troll or something [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Dunno - maybe it's just me [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img]

And if I had been the one that sold it and it ended up like that, I'd give a full refund and then try to resell it in its current condition at a price I determine, not ask the unhappy buyer "what's it worth to you?"
            I'm not saying that to influence the seller - it's his deal, not mine - that's just a hypothetical thing [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Newc
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

If you can agree with the seller on a partial refund and you are both happy with the number, go that route. You have the guitar, he has his money, there are no more shipping hassles (or potential shipping damage en route back to seller), the seller doesn't have to re-sell an instrument that he's already sold.

If you both agree, that is the cleanest and easiest way to fix this.

Comment

That is a sweet looking guitar and I hope the situation gets resolved to your satisfaction.

Comment

FIrst of all - bummer - such a beautiful guitar!!!!

Legally you have a right to return it for a full refund. The damage occured during shipping but the shipping company was an agent for the seller. The contract between buyer and seller cumulated when you took delivery at which point the damage had been done. At this point - legally - it is up for the seller and the shipping company to argue who's fault it is. Either way - not your problem.

However, if you and the seller can come to an agreement that makes you both happy then I agree this would be the most prefereable option.

Good luck - Rich

Comment

you paid $100 for 3 day shipping within the US? I paid approx $200 for 5 day insured shipping with DHL from Texas to Norway and that's a helluva lot longer way...
                    so isn't a hundred bucks worth of shipping giving you any kind of insurance? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                    X