No announcement yet.

80s USA Soloist with an artist graphic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80s USA Soloist with an artist graphic?

Hello everyone! I've been a longtime lurker, been a Charvel/Jackson guy now for about 15 yrs after playing a Hamer USA for 17 of my gigging years. I've had 4 USA Charvels from 83-85; and 5 Jacksons from 86-88, 1 91 Soloist. I've always wanted an 80s top mount Floyd soloist, and lucked out at an estate sale a few weeks back. It's an 88, non student with a DeMartini crossed swords graphic. But, I've never ever seen a 80s circa Charvel/Jackson USA with a current endorsed (at the time) artist graphic from the factory? I thought those were unattainable, during that era anyway. I thought maybe an aftermarket refin; but the build stamp in the trem cavity show "Ratt/Swords" in the description; and graphic is checked yes.
    Anyone ever see an 80s USA Charvel/Jackson that had an artist graphic, that was ordered by the public?
    Thanks! I'll try to post a pic asap.

I've never seen it outside of Charvels either. I wanna see it!
    Database (WIP) https://mechas64castles.net/CharvelJackson.html
    My collection also there!

Comment

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/w...741312547.html

Here are some pics...I don't have a 3rd party hosting site. So I put it up on Craigslist for a silly price. Lol. I'm not selling it. I'll sign up this weekend and post better pics.

I did some research and I did find one example of a similar graphic, but not exact, on an 80s USA Charvel owned by the Britney Fox lead player. But the red border between black/white is missing. So not the same. He was endorsed by BC Rich, so maybe he had someone do it locally?
      This guitar has a J90 in the bridge, really cool hot vintage type pickup. Alnico mag. I was hoping it had a boost circuit but pleasantly surprised by the J90. It has a great feel like an old school Shaw DF.

Comment

Use www.imgur.com to host your pictures.

Originally posted by Mechayoshi View Post
        I've never seen it outside of Charvels either. I wanna see it!
        Same goes for me too. Let's see some better pictures than the Craigslist ad.

Comment

Well. It has JT-6 posts, so it's had a trem swap which is not a bad thing. I would have figured the Jackson logo would have been mother of pearl, but it damn sure looks legit. Kind of surprised to see the Floyd lock nut with the JT-6 posts. I'd figured it would have been a Kahler string lock, but I don't see any real signs of it being swapped for a Floyd nut which can happen. The through neck bolts for the Floyd nut on a USA Jackson aren't common if I remember right either. The finish looks good though, and if it's been a refin it looks like it's been a good one. Never seen a Crossed Swords on a neck through much less a Jackson, but I reckon a custom job on about anything back in the day was possible. It's a neat one for sure. If you do Facebook most of the guys ended up here. It would be worth joining and posting to get their opinion. https://www.facebook.com/groups/222541984372

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post
            Well. It has JT-6 posts, so it's had a trem swap which is not a bad thing. I would have figured the Jackson logo would have been mother of pearl, but it damn sure looks legit. Kind of surprised to see the Floyd lock nut with the JT-6 posts. I'd figured it would have been a Kahler string lock, but I don't see any real signs of it being swapped for a Floyd nut which can happen. The through neck bolts for the Floyd nut on a USA Jackson aren't common if I remember right either. The finish looks good though, and if it's been a refin it looks like it's been a good one. Never seen a Crossed Swords on a neck through much less a Jackson, but I reckon a custom job on about anything back in the day was possible. It's a neat one for sure. If you do Facebook most of the guys ended up here. It would be worth joining and posting to get their opinion. https://www.facebook.com/groups/222541984372
            I wouldnt put it past them to use the JT-6 posts on it. They used JT-6 posts on lots of the Japan stuff from 89-90 period. I would think 1 reason would be the possible post lean you would get from the screw type posts Floyds had at the time. I dont know if they had the insert/post type setup on OFRs back then.also the inserts on the JT-6 posts were wider and worked better on softer woods.

Ofcourse it could have been a JT-6 and just have been changed but I would assume they woudl have then put a JT-6 style locknut on it too, Or maybe it had the scew type Floyd posts and they developped post lean and were changed to the JT-6 posts who knows.

Cool guitar nevertheless.

Comment

Thanks guys!

I've had a few 86-88 Jackson strats; atm I have an 86 with an OFR as well, through-the-neck nut bolts like this one. I think the posts are OFR though, not the JT6 posts but I'll double check. I always thought the Floyd screw posts were gonzo by 86 but I could be wrong. The MOP Jackson logos started in 90 afaik? The other 88 strat I had, used the same first version logos. It isn't a refin unless they also changed the build stamp in the trem cavity, as I can make out 'Ratt/Swords' just barely. So I believe it is a factory graphic.
              I did see a Charvel tribute website (I think he's a member here? Has a HUGE collection) and one of his guitars is a Charvel/Floyded DiMartini Skull/Blood graphic that dates to 83, so there are a few artist graphics out there from that time frame.

Also, I should mention that I always thought if the locking nut is a Floyd, and the through neck bolts would mean it was a factory OFR build. Since most builders back in the 80s used that method with OFRs on their builds.
              Last edited by GretchengoestoNebraska; 05-02-2024, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Weird. The graphic looks uneven to me. Look at the red line shooting up to the top horn... it looks thicker than on Warren's, and it should be closer to the sword blade and doesn't seem to line up directly in a straight line to the other red line through the tone control. Maybe it's the angle of the photo and my eyes are playing tricks on me.

Even the red circle in the middle looks smaller than it should be. Then again, Warren's guitars usually are single humbucker or have a single coil in the neck and maybe the neck humbucker is throwing it off. Maybe it was done that way on purpose from the factory? Still looks pretty cool, though.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  Weird. The graphic looks uneven to me. Look at the red line shooting up to the top horn... it looks thicker than on Warren's, and it should be closer to the sword blade and doesn't seem to line up directly in a straight line to the other red line through the tone control. Maybe it's the angle of the photo and my eyes are playing tricks on me.

Even the red circle in the middle looks smaller than it should be. Then again, Warren's guitars usually are single humbucker or have a single coil in the neck and maybe the neck humbucker is throwing it off. Maybe it was done that way on purpose from the factory? Still looks pretty cool, though.
                  Yep, it is different in the ways you suggest. I think maybe because the Soloist is a dinky body, vs the full size Strat body on the Charvel. The swords are smaller and narrower on the Jackson too. Close but not the same exact pattern 'size' vs the original on Warrens. The finish is super clean, couple dings but this guitar wasn't in/out of gigs over the years since there's no checking nor pick swirls. At first I figured it was a great refin...but the build stamp suggests otherwise with the 'Ratt/Swords' written in..w/o 3035. Graphic box is checked too.
                  First time with a J90 as well...wow what a great pickup. I have some nice pickups here, really enjoy the older Shaw DF and some old Schallers but this J90 sounds killer. The frets on this are super tall, hardly any usage. Mostly a closet queen I'd guess.

Comment

J90 is a killer pickup. One of my favorites for sure. I will say that's one killer Soloist, and if I'd have crossed paths with it at an estate sale I'd have bought it too.

Comment

Originally posted by GretchengoestoNebraska View Post

Yep, it is different in the ways you suggest. I think maybe because the Soloist is a dinky body, vs the full size Strat body on the Charvel. The swords are smaller and narrower on the Jackson too. Close but not the same exact pattern 'size' vs the original on Warrens. The finish is super clean, couple dings but this guitar wasn't in/out of gigs over the years since there's no checking nor pick swirls. At first I figured it was a great refin...but the build stamp suggests otherwise with the 'Ratt/Swords' written in..w/o 3035. Graphic box is checked too.
                      First time with a J90 as well...wow what a great pickup. I have some nice pickups here, really enjoy the older Shaw DF and some old Schallers but this J90 sounds killer. The frets on this are super tall, hardly any usage. Mostly a closet queen I'd guess.
                      Yeah, could be due to the Soloist/Dinky body vs. full Strat.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

J90C is a killer pickup. One of my favorites for sure. I will say that's one killer Soloist, and if I'd have crossed paths with it at an estate sale I'd have bought it too.

Comment

Working...
                        X