Jackson j-80 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson j-80 question

Hey guys I have a Jackson dinky from the late 80’s with a j-80 in the bridge and j-100 in neck position. I’m finding the j-80 has an almost single coil tone to it and quite loose in the bass! Is this inherent in this pickup from you guys experience or could the single coil be bleeding into it ? I mean it sounds decent enough but there’s just this single coily (for lack of better term) tone to it … not really that bright (which I don’t mind but a thinnish sort of tone especially on bass strings.

Is this normal for this pup? Any opinions is much appreciated
    Last edited by Pjc007; 10-30-2023, 09:38 PM.

That J-80C is nasty close to the J-90C in that it's hot as hell, and has balls. I'd check the ohms on it, and check the wiring. That thing should scream. I'd rather have a J-80 or J-90C than most any other pickup myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post
      That J-80C is nasty close to the J-90C in that it's hot as hell, and has balls. I'd check the ohms on it, and check the wiring. That thing should scream. I'd rather have a J-80 or J-90C than most any other pickup myself.
      It’s a j-80 alnico 5 not the ceramic version and it’s measuring around 13k. Nowhere near as hot (which I don’t think it’s meant to be) as a J-90c and I have two of them in old Charvel’s!
      Last edited by Pjc007; 10-30-2023, 04:18 PM.

Comment

What tremolo is in the guitar? Have you tried other pickups in the guitar?

Comment

13k is the correct dc resistance for the J-80

https://charvelusa.com/jackson_pickups.html

an audio clip might be useful, especially comparing with another humbucker/guitar which sounds "normal"

Comment

Originally posted by ed View Post
            What tremolo is in the guitar? Have you tried other pickups in the guitar?
            I’ve replaced the old jt-6 with a Gotoh 1996t and yes I’ve tried a super distortion in it and sounded normal. Like I said it sounds decent enough and seems to have enough output but just has this sort of single coil overtone.

Comment

And the wiring is correct? Is it a 4 wire version although i dont know if they made 2 wire versions of it probably not. I know these things can be a pain in the ass the troubleshoot if there even is a problem. I am going thru similar thing with one of my guitars and its driving me nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by ed View Post
                And the wiring is correct? Is it a 4 wire version although i dont know if they made 2 wire versions of it probably not. I know these things can be a pain in the ass the troubleshoot if there even is a problem. I am going thru similar thing with one of my guitars and it’s driving me nuts.
                Yeah it’s 4 wire and all wired correct. I just wonder if that’s what is inherent in it. I have a j-80c for comparison and it’s a lot hotter and brighter but also tighter!

Comment

could the pole pieces be out of whack? that would cause an unbalanced coil response

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
                    could the pole pieces be out of whack? that would cause an unbalanced coil response
                    I took the cover off awhile ago but they’re all the same level , no doubt because of the plastic cover, I have just left them. I’m not sure that would be it though because my j-90c’s in both my Charvel’s are all slugs no adjustable poles and they sound great! The pickup doesn’t sound horrible, it sounds full enough but has this annoying single coil tone to it but mainly on the low strings and really flubby low end like a single coil. My j-80c in another guitar sounds really good , much brighter and a lot tighter also.
                    I probably prefer the tone of the j-80 (without the annoying single coil sound) over the j-80c as the later is a little bright for me…
                    Last edited by Pjc007; 10-30-2023, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Has someone opened up the pickup and tampered with it?

A few years ago, I opened up two humbuckers on two different guitars to do a magnet swap. I believe I followed the directions, and when I reassembled everything, I discovered that they sounded hollow and weak, and your description of your odd-sounding J-80 reminded me of that. I checked my work and couldn't find the problem. In the end, I guessed that when inserting the magnets, my clumsiness or lack of fine motor skills might have damaged a wire, basically hurting the pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                        Has someone opened up the pickup and tampered with it?

A few years ago, I opened up two humbuckers on two different guitars to do a magnet swap. I believe I followed the directions, and when I reassembled everything, I discovered that they sounded hollow and weak, and your description of your odd-sounding J-80 reminded me of that. I checked my work and couldn't find the problem. In the end, I guessed that when inserting the magnets, my clumsiness or lack of fine motor skills might have damaged a wire, basically hurting the pickup.
                        I mean it’s possible but unlikely as the pickup doesn’t look to have been disturbed in any way.

Comment

Hello, having tried thousands of the whole Jackson/ Charvel models,on board configurations......I worked in final assy . At Ontario CA. Plant "1986-1990. All pick ups were manufactured at that facility....mostly all woman made up that dept.. if that pick up sounds thin , it's not right. Only Came across very few in all that time that were faulty.....There was a high quality control being adhered to by depts. That how we gained our reputation...by being well above all "The Others"...let's face it....No One Could touch us!! Just facts...Thanks Roger Maakestad(FretSon)

Comment

Update. I took the pickup out and put it in my Les Paul and it sounds killer! So nothing wrong with it… sounds tight with plenty of output and not loose in bottom end. I had a J-80C in the cupboard so decided to put that in the Jackson instead and it sounds great in there, go figure! Little more output and slightly brighter (which seems to suit the Jackson) but tight enough also whereas the J-80 was loose in bass and had this displeasing overtone so not sure what’s going on there… maybe it just didn’t like the pot that was in there but the pot seemed to tame the J-80c which was overly bright in just about everything else I put it in, hence why it was in the cupboard.

Anyway alls well that ends well.
                            Last edited by Pjc007; 11-14-2023, 01:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X