Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying and Appraising Jackson Custom Shop guitar

Hi all,

A few years ago I was gifted this guitar from my previous partner's father. I was hoping to get back into playing but just haven't done it, year after year. I think I'm going to sell it but I have searched high and low to make sure I'm not ripping a future buyer off or selling myself short price wise.

I've been in contact with Fender's gear advisors (since they acquired and now own Jackson, as I understand it) and taken the guitar to a Jackson certified shop (Flipside Music, Denver CO) to be inspected with the goal of getting a new certificate of authenticity. The latest in the multi-month saga was an email from the gear advisor at Fender saying that after talking with the shop techs and seeing photos of it, that yes it's a real Jackson Custom Shop guitar, but that it was produced before 2002 which means they are not able to get the records that far back to issue a new certificate. Seems like there are some record keeping issues that happened as a result of the buyout/transfer of ownership.

Also, when I initially took the guitar in to Flipside, the guys there took the neck off the body to inspect the pocket, pictured in the images attached, and confirmed the matching serial numbers from the builders who signed it.

Ultimately, I'm looking to sell the guitar but want a reasonable assurance that I'm being forthcoming in the process and have done all the due-diligence to figure out exactly what this guitar is so any help identifying the precise model of custom shop guitar, or if it's a one-off, and any help identifying the type of pickups (beyond just Seymour Duncan) and any other notable features etc to help me appraise the value would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Matt

Link to Imgur album with pictures of the guitar below
    Find, rate and share the best memes and images. Discover the magic of the Internet at Imgur.

I have no idea. And I wanted to be upfront about that because everything else is theoretical.

*Anyone can write anything anywhere on a guitar, it doesn't make it factory writing.
    *Not too many prototypes have serial numbers.
    *Not many neck pockets have serial numbers written in them.

Comment

it would be hard to gauge a "value" or expected sell price given the unique nature of this guitar. you can clearly see the dates on the the neck and neck pocket which put the production around 1998, which is consistent with the kind of wonky s-type headstocks which you'd see on charvels and some jacksons around that time. also of note is the word "prototype" penciled in on the back of the headstock, but it's impossible for me to say whether that was done at the factory or afterwards. the body shape matches the surfcaster and/or outcaster models which can be seen in production in the late 1990s.

and ps, something like an SL2H from 1998, if in reasonable condition, would fetch at least $2-3k these days. but sale price is a function of demand, and SL2Hs are always in high demand. it's hard to gauge demand for something like this. it's possible you'll find somebody willing to pay over $2k for this, it's also very possible you won't. it's impossible for any of use to say.

as another data point, here's a '90s PC2 listed at $2k which has been sitting for a month with zero offers: https://reverb.com/item/63571097-jac...-signature-pc2. I think it's a fair comparison bc they're both bolt on usa jacksons from the late 90s with the undesirable headstock. to me this says you might have trouble selling yours at $2k unless you find somebody who's just really into the surfcaster.
      Last edited by metalhobo; 01-07-2023, 08:32 PM.

Comment

oh and for pickups, you'd need to tell us if there are any markings on the bottom of them.

Comment

Even if it were a style of guitar I liked. There are a few things that bother me about the guitar, no name tuners, route cut for serial plate, import looking headstock logo. All that being said, I can't say it's not real, but it would be a very bare bones guitar and very, very rare buyers market for the style of guitar.

Just so you know, work order numbers are in neck pockets, because they never really know when it's going out the door and that when the plate would be put on.
          I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post
            Even if it were a style of guitar I liked. There are a few things that bother me about the guitar, no name tuners, route cut for serial plate, import looking headstock logo. All that being said, I can't say it's not real, but it would be a very bare bones guitar and very, very rare buyers market for the style of guitar.

Just so you know, work order numbers are in neck pockets, because they never really know when it's going out the door and that when the plate would be put on.
            The route under the serial plate is normal for bolt on Jacksons.

Comment

Originally posted by ed View Post

The route under the serial plate is normal for bolt on Jacksons.
              That route is not normal and all USA dinkys don't have routes
              I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

I wouldn't call it normal. But it exists.

Comment

The adrian smith model doesnt have the routing. Most if not all DK-1 have the routing. Earlier dinkies dont have it they have the bigger cut away thing. and strat bodies dont have it. Also a few custom dinkies i seen have had it.

I am not saying this is the 100% real deal. Could be a prototype or a employee project but why would they put a serial number on there then? Also those scribbles done with a ballpoint pen arent helping IMO.

Also did they use that headstock at the time 8103 would have come out?

Comment

The adrian smith model doesnt have the routing. Most if not all DK-1 have the routing. Earlier dinkies dont have it they have the bigger cut away thing. and strat bodies dont have it. Also a few custom dinkies i seen have had it.

I am not saying this is the 100% real deal. Could be a prototype or a employee project but why would they put a serial number on there then? Also those scribbles done with a ballpoint pen arent helping IMO.

All my 90's dinkies( USA and import a like) have or had the cut away rear access. I see the NEW dinkies have that fughy route. You notice the plate it's self looks weird too. Doesn't match a 90's or the new ones. I can break out a coloring book, just joking!!

Comment

the pc-1's and pc-2's from that era have the SAME plate routing and headstock. those don't bother me at all.

the only things that bother me are the tuning heads and the fact the serial written down on the body and neck. but I don't think either have any significant impact on the provenance

Comment

according to this table, 8103 is indeed a 1998 custom shop bolt on number: https://support.jacksonguitars.com/e...ticle/KA-02021

while I agree about the two cursive scribbles, I can say Tim Wilson, whose name is printed in the neck pocket, was indeed a jackson employee at the time.

Comment

Yeah, we all know Tim Wilson worked there after I linked the old timers video on here and I'd probably just list it for 3 grand and accept offers and hope for 1500. I can snag a bolt on with better feature 4 out of 7 days a week for under 1500.

Comment

Working...
                          X