1994 Dinky Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
    After more digging, I am confident it is a normal, "USA Series", Dinky Custom as expected, in EDS finish. See the 1994-95 catalog (https://assets.ctfassets.net/4jcppge...95-catalog.pdf), particularly page 18 of the catalog (page 10 of the PDF file) for the Dinky Custom and page 20 of the catalog (page 11 of the PDF file) for the Eerie Dess finish which was offered on the USA Series.

The confusing part is the OFR when a JT590 was standard equipment for the time, which Simon says looks like the extended route was cleanly done and indicative of being original to the guitar since the finish goes right to the edge. Less confusing is the stock Bill Lawrence pickup replaced with a Seymour Duncan pickup; the Duncan would have a label under the baseplate identifying what model it is. Just from the one pic, I see the polepieces are slugs on the neck-facing coil and screws on the bridge-facing coil, probably the most common polepiece configuration for bridge pickups offered by Duncan, which is typical of a JB, Custom, Custom 5, Custom Custom, Distortion, etc. And it looks like a white Seymour Duncan logo in normal font, so we can rule out other slug/screw bridge pickups like the Nazgul or Pegasus (black logos) or the Alnico Pro II (no logo).

More photos would help immensely. Knowing the seller's serial number would be very useful. Knowing what is stamped in the neck pocket and on the neck heel would be a bonus.
    Your links not working. Does it say rosewood fretboard, because I see red, could be the light but IDK
    I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

I tried repasting the link into my above post. See if it works. If not, just go to https://www.jacksonguitars.com/en/catalogs.html?dc and select the 1994-95 catalog.

It says ebony for the fretboard.

Comment

ebony...as for what's in the neck pocket? john lawson is right...iirc the usa series serial numbers were different from the custom shops at the time...the serial number should tell you what it is...but i may be misremembering...i will say this though, having owned a few eerie dess swirls as well as currently owning a red eerie dess usa dinky?, to extend that rout for a floyd would be a difficult proposition at best...the eds finish is pretty fragile and very prone to peeling if it gets the smallest crack...i think the floyd is factory honestly...d.m.
        http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

john.w.lawson
          Number Of The Priest
          diablomozart

Thanks for all the input guys. Very helpful.
          The fingerboard is definitely ebony, The photo isn't good enough.
          After some thought, I think I'm going to pass on that guitar - I'm not sure what, but something smells fishy with that instrument.
          I've had many Jacksons over the years and something is just isn't right with this one.
          Thanks again for all of your insight, much appreciated.
          Last edited by Simon-K; 02-10-2022, 07:38 AM.

Comment

We have given you the best assessment possible with the evidence presented. More evidence (photos, serial number, and identification marks in the neck pocket and neck heel) would make a stronger analysis, but I can understand your concern. Intuition has steered me away from deals I otherwise had no reason to doubt, and I don't really regret missing out. Sometimes caution is worth the peace of mind and saved money.

Where is the guitar located? If I could inspect it in person, I would feel more comfortable making a decision and offering an appropriate price. Objectively the guitar is a beauty and I wouldn't mind owning that if it passes my inspection. Factory Floyd would honestly be a great bonus compared to a JT590.

Comment

Working...
            X