JE-1200 Replacement/Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JE-1200 Replacement/Upgrade

I've had a working JE1200 for over 10 years, however it has slowly been deteriorating and I was considering removing it. Are there any good upgrades/alternatives that people like to use instead? I believe i've seen some people say that the Clapton mid-boost is pretty good.

I was also wondering if there are any tonal disadvantages to having the circuit and the special pot that comes with it. I usually don't have it engaged because it makes my pickups less articulate sounding.

At the end of the day, I might just try to repair it or make a clone.

Would anyone advise me to NOT do a complete hardware swap (pots, switches, jack) ?

what do you mean by deteriorating? if it's just scratchiness that can be repaired easily.

Comment

Maybe an EMG Afterburner?

Comment

"Deteriorating" as in it is literally falling apart after having some work done and I'd like something a bit more modern/robust.

Comment

Somebody on ebay sells replicas.
          METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Somebody on ebay sells replicas.
            METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Originally posted by Raidogen View Post
              I've had a working JE1200 for over 10 years, however it has slowly been deteriorating and I was considering removing it. Are there any good upgrades/alternatives that people like to use instead? I believe i've seen some people say that the Clapton mid-boost is pretty good.

I was also wondering if there are any tonal disadvantages to having the circuit and the special pot that comes with it. I usually don't have it engaged because it makes my pickups less articulate sounding.

At the end of the day, I might just try to repair it or make a clone.

Would anyone advise me to NOT do a complete hardware swap (pots, switches, jack) ?

I always liked the EMG 18 volt conversion. Your third knob controls boost of the second 9 volt but I used an 85 in the bridge position, 81's a bit too much treble for me JMO
              I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

EMG SPC all day long. Works with active or passive pickups and boosts the mid range in basically the same way as the JE-1200, but tends to be quieter and takes up far less real estate in the cavity.

I have at least 4 guitars with the SPC now (including a Charvel 475 with passives) and plan to have more.
                '95 Charvel San Dimas USA Model I Koa - BKP
                '91 Charvel 650 Custom - EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
                '92 Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
                '91 Charvel 475 Exotic Cherry Sunburst - Duncan PATB set
                '90 Charvel 475 XL
                '10 Charvel San Dimas MIJ Style 1 2H - JB/'59
                Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp/Stereo Simul-Class 2:90
                Mesa Boogie MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb with Mark Series stack
                Marshall JVM410H

Comment

Working...
                X