Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Selecting Pickups for my SLATQH

Jackson Brains Trust I want/need your opinion on pickups

I've got this SLATQH which I've been unsuccessful in trying to sell, so I've pretty much decided to keep it. After some thought, the *only* thing I don't like about the guitar are the pickups. These EMG HETs (for me/what I want to do) are terrible - they sound thin, plasticky and fake; they're scooped to heck and sound too 'modern', too 'try hard'.

Question: Which pickups would you put in?

Sound preferences: I'm looking for a really well rounded set. I want to be able to get true classic 80s/90s shred / death metal (*cough* this guitar will stay in E), but I also focus a lot on jazz and fusion so I need warm rich cleans and clear light distortion.

I've got two main ideas for what to put in:
    1. go back to stock - Seymour Duncan JBTM & TB14
    2. get some original Jackson Pups like a J90C bridge, and J-50N neck
    Or I could even try to find some 90s Bill Lawrence L500XLs?
    FYI Body and neck are Mahogany, with thick maple cap

Scale length? 25.5" or 24.75"

Maybe something PAFish like DiMarzio 36th's? Most rigs these days have enough gain.

I'm running a set of Full Shreds in a 750XL, but it's a maple neck and 24.75" scale.

The 59 and JB sound great in my longer scale Sam Ash archtop, but it has a trem and possibly alder wings.

I think I have a Jazz and a Custom 5 in an AT Pro.

Quite different, I have Bill Lawrence rails in a 1995 USA RR.

On the opposite end of things, I'll be putting a set of warpigs into a Copperhead SL2H.

In the end, it's up to you to figure out what works in your rig.

Comment

PAFs can indeed play any kind of music, but it's still possible you may not like them. they have more peak-y vowel-y resonance and a more open sound high end than a high output pickup. quite the opposite of the active pickups which have a broad/flat midrange response. based on your desire for versatility I think it would be hard to go wrong with a PAF-type, but you could probably get an equivalently versatile (though different, to be sure) sound with the right high output set.

Comment

You can try Emg 57/66 set or Emg fat 55 set for starters. It is an easy swap as they use same connects.

Comment

Working...
        X