Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weight differences in recent last 5-10yr Jacksons vs. 90s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight differences in recent last 5-10yr Jacksons vs. 90s?

If I'm looking for something on the lighter end of the scale, should I go with recently made Jacksons? Or it doesn't work that way?
    I noticed some Rhoads weighed in at 7 lbs even, but some said were 9 lbs. Same thing for Soloists etc etc.

I can say for non US Jackson / Charvel guitars - they mostly go from 7 to 8 lbs. Soloist and Dinky sometimes lighter. San Dimas sometimes heavier. From time to time I've been checking the Sweetwater site and it was those numbers for last couple of years. Sweetwater is the only store, as much as I know, that measures weight for guitars they have on stock.

As for owning, here is what I tried:
    • Charvel San Dimas --> 8lbs 13oz
    • Jackson SLX Soloist --> 7lbs 6oz
    • Jackson Pro DK3 (Okoume) --> 7lbs
    • Jackson Pro DK2 (Alder) --> 7lbs 12oz

It seems that Okoume wood is lighter that alder and basswood, from my research/experience. It is nice sounding to my ear, very similar to alder. I would go with it but guitar had to many issues so I returned it.

Comment

I forgot to be specific lol!
      Yea I know the new MII guitars are seemingly lighter, people complained they felt like toys. Whats a toy to someone else is actually my treasure lol. Anyways

I was thinking should I get a 90s USARhoads or a more recent 2000s or 2010s + USA Rhoads? Which would be lighter? Sellers actually don't weigh them when I ask them on Reverb, they got the right scale usually, I've tried.

I want to avoid having the problem i had in the past. I had a Jackson Kelly Performer that was well over 10 lbs on the scale I used.

What are my chances of getting a RR1 that is under 8 lbs? I saw some on Reverb that people put weights for 8 lbs 7 oz and seemed heavy for that kind of body shape. They were early 90s, but not sure how often they weigh that much.

Too bad Sweetwater didn't list weights for their RR1s, just checked. Thanks

Comment

I did not look at the price range above $1000 so I don't know how often it is in stock at Sweetwater. For RR1 it says "Special order" so I don't think they will put it in regular sales process, create stock and then measure weight.

Comment

you can try to scrape together some statistics: https://www.google.com/search?q=site...w=1518&bih=843

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
            you can try to scrape together some statistics: https://www.google.com/search?q=site...w=1518&bih=843
            Oh that's a pretty good idea! Looks like it was only able to scrape a handful, as I know theres some on my watchlists with weights on them, but that code certainly helps.
            It seems to me, that anything above 8lb 4.6 ounce is uncommon.
            In 1980s RR1s had a blue one for 7.9 lbs with a Floyd.

It seems the mean weight would be around 8.1 lbs , which is doable for me.

Comment

1992 USA RR1 - 8lbs 8oz (active electronics i.e. battery weight)
              1995 USA RR1 - 8lbs 3oz

2009 MIJ RR24M - 6lbs 13oz EMG81 - battery.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                1992 USA RR1 - 8lbs 8oz (active electronics i.e. battery weight)
                1995 USA RR1 - 8lbs 3oz

2009 MIJ RR24M - 6lbs 13oz EMG81 - battery.
                Thanks man! I think there's really no pattern, now that I think of it.
                One RR1 on Reverb is at 8 lb 13 oz! Too high
                A lightning one that I didn't have cash to buy was 7 lbs 12 oz which I wanted

Comment

Originally posted by DanzoStrife View Post

Thanks man! I think there's really no pattern, now that I think of it.
                  One RR1 on Reverb is at 8 lb 13 oz! Too high
                  A lightning one that I didn't have cash to buy was 7 lbs 12 oz which I wanted
                  My 1992 is white without pinstripes. The 1995 is a Lightning Sky.

With the boost, the white one steers me into playing Stryper all the time LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post

My 1992 is white without pinstripes. The 1995 is a Lightning Sky.

With the boost, the white one steers me into playing Stryper all the time LOL!
                    Stryper i think was really the only successful blatantly Christian band! Love the black and yellow attack

Comment

Working...
                    X