Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jackson often rewrite numbers like so? And who was Rik Jones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson often rewrite numbers like so? And who was Rik Jones?

I finally was able to get the neck off my guitar.

The trem cavity is marked "3887." The date's unreadable. The neck pocket is marked "3887" and says "Rik Jones" in red marker and "6-6-88."

The neck heel looks to have originally been marked "3664," but then it was seemingly factory-written-over with both pen and then red marker as "3887."

I have zero reason to believe this is not the original neck to the guitar and that it was never removed until now. Even the shim and neck pocket "3887" pencil number imprinted themselves on the heel.

Did Jackson often in-house reassign necks and write over work order numbers like this? Or did somebody simply write the wrong number on the neck and then correct it?

I found a couple other posts online by people who also have Jacksons from this timeframe that are marked "Rick (with a C) Jones" as well. Who was/is he?

Thanks.

Originally posted by luffliffloaf View Post
    I finally was able to get the neck off my guitar.

The trem cavity is marked "3887." The date's unreadable. The neck pocket is marked "3887" and says "Rik Jones" in red marker and "6-6-88."

The neck heel looks to have originally been marked "3664," but then it was seemingly factory-written-over with both pen and then red marker as "3887."

I have zero reason to believe this is not the original neck to the guitar and that it was never removed until now. Even the shim and neck pocket "3887" pencil number imprinted themselves on the heel.

Did Jackson often in-house reassign necks and write over work order numbers like this? Or did somebody simply write the wrong number on the neck and then correct it?

I found a couple other posts online by people who also have Jacksons from this timeframe that are marked "Rick (with a C) Jones" as well. Who was/is he?

Thanks.

it's a custom because of the year and that it has one hum. I'm sure they made more than one hum body and more than one neck with sharkies. Because the serial number is 87 it was probably someone that owned it or was the painter?
    Last edited by john.w.lawson; 05-20-2021, 02:58 PM.
    I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

But I found a couple old Google posts where a couple other guys had Jacksons from 87-88 that had "Rick Jones" written on them as well, so he had to have worked at Jackson. Regardless, I was more curious about the neck number write-over. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by luffliffloaf View Post
        But I found a couple old Google posts where a couple other guys had Jacksons from 87-88 that had "Rick Jones" written on them as well, so he had to have worked at Jackson. Regardless, I was more curious about the neck number write-over. Thanks.
        It was made after the move to Ontario California ( not Canada ). You can tell by the Made in USA placement and a R instead of a TM
        I found the google stuff you were talking about, no luck there
        I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Hello from France. I own a single hum/Jt6 Jackson Strat in Rock finish, killer tone, flawless built, and reliable, with Rick Jones stamp, date March 88 and the funny thing is the WO number is overwritten too; so I guess that was not unusual. We are definitely in a Custom Shop. I never worried about it. As far as Rick Jones is concerned, he's credited with some very nice builds in the 87/88 maybe later period, along with Hermila Gutierrez and other luthiers/builders in the Jackson factory. It would be very interesting to gather as much data as possible about these people and their personal works, the same names keep popping up again and again. Cheers
          Last edited by XavSnakeEye; 05-31-2021, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Most of these work orders aren't being changed when being overwritten. They are simply being re-written - let's say from ball point pen to permanent marker.

Originally posted by XavSnakeEye View Post
            It would be very interesting to gather as much data as possible about these people and their personal works, the same names keep popping up again and again.
            Unlike the automated overseas mega-factories, the little US shop did not have very many employees. And most of them were long-term, particularly at the level of 'signing tags'.
            So, no, it is not uncommon to see the same names popping up over and over.

Comment

XavSnakeEye, thank you so much. Your post was very helpful. What's interesting is that I've seen some 1988 guitars signed "Rick Jones" and mine is signed "Rik Jones." He must've become a Rik Mayall fan (British actor on the Young Ones) and was tying out the "Rik" spelling lol.

Comment

I went back and forth with the C. Legally my name is Rik,but the stamp they gave me had a C

Comment

I worked for Jackson from 87/ to early 89..

Comment

Oh sweet welcome to the forum Rik!

Comment

Welcome dude! Do you have any sweet guitars still from that era?

Comment

This is awesome! Thanks for chiming in Rick. I just was wondering if you remember why work orders were overwritten and if you (I doubt it) remember anything about my guitar at all. THANKS!

Comment

It was Rick.....until we cut the C off his name stamp...a prank he started....he also was a bass player in a couple of projects of mine.....a good guy....if you read this "Rik" how the hell are you?

Comment

Working...
                          X