Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found 80's single-hum Jackson. Can you help w/ restore questions or build sheet info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found 80's single-hum Jackson. Can you help w/ restore questions or build sheet info?

After many years of looking, I finally found a nice, Baretta or Gunslinger-esque, single humbucker, late-80's, Ontario USA Jackson.

I'm so excited to have found this guitar! But I do have some questions that I was hoping you experts could answer for me.

I cannot remove the neck at the moment in order to check for neck pocket / heel information. However, I can see the tremolo cavity information. Problem is, the date code is illegible scribble.

The San Dimas neck plate serial number is 2276. The work order number is EDIT: I don't see people publishing this here, so I removed it and I guess I'd have to PM it to someone. The guitar is gunmetal gray.

Is there any way any of you guys can look up the build sheet for this guitar and tell me its date, what type of wood the body is, and whether or not the fretboard is ebony or rosewood? I think it's rosewood, but it's dark wood and it's so filthy it's hard for me to tell.

Also, the body has a lot of clearly visible picking scuffs. You guys every rotary buffer the clearcoat out on these?

Last question - The JT6 tremolo has some crud on it. Best to disassemble it entirely and soak it all in WD-40? Or best to put in a late 80's original Floyd? Problem is, mid to late 80's black Floyds are getting expensive these days. I have a chrome one in the original Kramer box, but I was saving it for a Baretta project.

Thank you so much.

Last edited by luffliffloaf; 05-14-2021, 12:04 PM.

Also, is there a serial number database registry to add guitars to? Thanks

Comment

nice guitar!

cleaning the fretboard should make it obvious whether rosewood or ebony, but based on the pic the reddish/brown tinge hints at rosewood.

year for that serial is 1987

body is probably poplar. if you take a pic of the neck pocket after removing neck can confirm

Comment

you can also take the truss cover off
        sometimes the work order is written in it. this would help confirm the parts match.

Comment

They have frt 1000's for like 80 bucks on fleabay. I've owned both and there isn't much difference. all the new stuff has them on it.
          I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

I love 1 hum/1 vol guitars.

96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
              I love 1 hum/1 vol guitars.

Me too, especially rev headstock soloist
              I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Nice!!

Love that layout!!

Comment

No need to use a power buffer. Just get a decent polish like Maguire’s or Music Nomad and the marks should clear up rather easily by hand. Clean the body thoroughly by removing dust then wiping down with Naphtha prior to polishing. You can apply Carnauba wax to really make it shine.

For the fretboard, put Naphtha on a clean, soft cloth and toothbrush then work it until gunk is removed. Don’t pour Naphtha directly on the fretboard, you don’t want to get too much under the frets.. Once the fretboard is clean put a guitar safe oil like Music Nomad on it, Apply the oil sparingly as you don’t want to get a lot of oil under the frets. Hand buff to your desired lustre.

You can polish the frets with the same compound you used to polish the body.

https://www.musicnomadcare.com/Products/Guitar-Polish/?

https://www.musicnomadcare.com/Products/Guitar-Wax/?

https://www.musicnomadcare.com/Produ...ONE-Oil-8-oz/?

For the tremolo, WD-40 would work fine. I personally prefer 3 in 1 oil as it has thicker viscosity. Be patient disassembling, don’t “bulldog” any part that is froze.

Last edited by CaptNasty; 05-15-2021, 08:18 AM.

Comment

you can also use murphy's oil soap (dilute it according to the bottle) for the fretboard. just use it sparingly applied with a soft toothbrush and then dry it throroughly with a clean cloth immediately after cleaning. you don't want it soaking into the wood or tarnishing the frets. I find it doesn't remove as much of the natural oils as petroleum products and may obviate the need to apply oil afterwards (depending on how much oil was in the board was to start with)

and +1 on 3-in-1 oil

Comment

Thank you guys so much for the information thus far, regarding the 3-in-1 oil and the information pertaining to the tremolo, body, and board cleaning and polishing. I'm going to start in on some of it today.

Comment

Great guitar man!! I love 1 hum guitars as well. I own 4 of them!

Comment

Working...
                        X