Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identifying my late father's guitar

Hello,

My father recently passed away unexpectedly, one thing he left me was his Jackson guitar.

I was hoping somebody in this community could help me identify the model, as I know very little about guitars.

https://imgur.com/a/xGK6nLA

The serial on the neck reads J000194.

Thank you in advance!

1990 Jackson Soloist Professional series based on the info provided. Manufactured in Japan. This does not appear to be the “pro” model Soloist.

This was one of the early guitars produced in the first year of production of the Professional Series.

That is a nice guitar. It is not top of the Jackson line, but it is a nice instrument.
    Last edited by CaptNasty; 09-02-2020, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Sorry for your loss.

Looks like a soloist pro to me with EMG pickups changed to it. Not the current soloist pros but the early Japanese awesome quality soloist pro.
      Last edited by ed; 09-02-2020, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Very sorry for your loss.

Originally posted by CaptNasty View Post
        This does not appear to be the “pro” model Soloist.
        I see what you're saying. The pics aren't necessarily high quality enough to be able to undoubtedly discern the fretboard wood. If the fretboard wood is rosewood, it's a Soloist XL. If it's ebony, it's a Soloist Pro. I leaned more towards ebony for the first two pics but I see a large streak in the wood in the third photo which could be indicative of rosewood.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
          Very sorry for your loss.

I see what you're saying. The pics aren't necessarily high quality enough to be able to undoubtedly discern the fretboard wood. If the fretboard wood is rosewood, it's a Soloist XL. If it's ebony, it's a Soloist Pro. I leaned more towards ebony for the first two pics but I see a large streak in the wood in the third photo which could be indicative of rosewood.
          Doesn’t the “Pro” also have the word “Pro” on the truss rod cover?

Comment

Is the "Jackson" logo in mother of pearl because it sure looks like it is to me? Soloist Professionals are very well made Japanese models. Did the XL Pro's get the mother of pearl "Jackson" logo too? I'm not a middle pickup guitar kind of guy so I've just watched them in passing. I've seen a couple of Rhoad's Pro's in the wild but never a Soloist.

Comment

early, '90-'91 soloist pros did not have printing on the truss rod cover. if it has an ebony fretboard and MOP inlays/logo, it's a soloist pro, aka the nicest japanese jackson out there.

OP:
              if your guitar does have an ebony (very dark, almost black wood, very small/closed pores. not brown and porous like rosewood) fretboard and mother of pearl inlaid jackson logo on the headstock (not painted) then that guitar is a jackson professional series "soloist pro." not to be confused with the more basic professional series soloist models.
              Last edited by metalhobo; 09-02-2020, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Man, you guys have better eyes than I do! I can’t tell if that is mother of pearl or mother of plastic.

And for the life of me, there is a lot of lighter streaking on the fretboard. Looks like a sizable light spot up by the nut too.
                Last edited by CaptNasty; 09-02-2020, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Thank you everybody for your thoughts and expert opinions.
                  My dad was a lifelong guitarist and I plan on keeping this guitar in his memory forever.
                  Based on what you have told me I found an almost identical guitar on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/i/193591480315?...waAk9tEALw_wcB
                  I'm enthusiastic to see that I have such a valuable memory from my father.

Comment

Originally posted by jtithof08 View Post
                    Thank you everybody for your thoughts and expert opinions.
                    My dad was a lifelong guitarist and I plan on keeping this guitar in his memory forever.
                    Based on what you have told me I found an almost identical guitar on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/i/193591480315?...waAk9tEALw_wcB
                    I'm enthusiastic to see that I have such a valuable memory from my father.
                    that's the one. all the same except the one in the link is a '92 or later judging by the truss rod cover. the emg pickups in either guitar are not stock, but that shouldn't matter too much. it looks like a wonderful guitar, I hope you treasure it!

Comment

no one is paying $1800 for an import

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                        Right! That's why its still on there lol
                        But that was one of the first results from a simple google search of "1990 Jackson Soloist Professional series japan"

Comment

This. I was going to say that but you beat me to it. The one the OP linked is insanely overpriced by say a thousand bucks or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post

This. I was going to say that but you beat me to it. The one the OP linked is insanely overpriced by say a thousand bucks or so.
                            It is in Japan, and they do have some insane ask prices.
                            But, no one else (especially the USA) is paying that.

Hey, if it makes OP feel good that daddy left him an $1800 guitar... great.
                            As long as he:
                            1. isn't paying inheritance tax on the $1800 value.
                            2. isn't planning on selling it for that much.

Comment

It is in Japan, and they do have some insane ask prices.
                              But, no one else (especially the USA) is paying that.

Hey, if it makes OP feel good that daddy left him an $1800 guitar... great.
                              As long as he:
                              1. isn't paying inheritance tax on the $1800 value.
                              2. isn't planning on selling it for that much.
                              Agreed. No one in the USA is going to pay 1800 bucks. I figure it's an 800 buck or so guitar myself assuming it's pristine. If the OP decides to sell it he won't have a problem moving it as long as the price isn't exorbitant.

Comment

Working...
                              X