Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Rails or stacked HBs for Soloist HSS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Rails or stacked HBs for Soloist HSS?

I have been experimenting with upgrades to my '92 Soloist just for fun. Came with the J50BC/J200/J200 and JE-1200 mid boost which I like very much, although I already have that in another guitar. The music I play on the Soloist tends to be '80s metal and prog metal based.

I decided to get a Duncan Custom for my bridge pickup, although I haven't installed it yet. The only current mod is a J200R (rail) at the neck, which sounds very nice for leads, although it strangely has less output than the J200! Resistance in the 10.9k range for the 200R vs 11.9k for the 200, and the 200 slightly overpowers the R volumewise. Because of the tight fit of the lead wire for the 200R, the middle 200 can't be lowered quite as much as I normally do to stay out of the way of my pick, so I have some routing coming up to lower it more, which will also help balance the volume. But while I'm at it, I may go ahead and have it routed for aftermarket rails to open up all options.

I definitely want either a rail or stacked HB with a fuller than vintage tone for this guitar, and no visible pole pieces to preserve the look I'm after. I was thinking of the GREAT shreddy neck tones that Alex Masi got in the '80s with his Charvel using (I believe) the J200R when I bought it, although I wouldn't mind slightly more output than the 200R has.

Right now, I am considering a Cool Rail at the middle and a Hot Rail at the neck. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Black Shadow; 08-03-2019, 01:14 PM.
    '95 Charvel San Dimas USA Model I Koa - BKP
    '91 Charvel 650 Custom - EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
    '92 Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
    '91 Charvel 475 Exotic Cherry Sunburst - Duncan PATB set
    '90 Charvel 475 XL
    '10 Charvel San Dimas MIJ Style 1 2H - JB/'59
    Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp/Stereo Simul-Class 2:90
    Mesa Boogie MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb with Mark Series stack
    Marshall JVM410H

I like the hotrails a lot. Not tried a cool rails, but if their output is lower, maybe that'd work better at the neck?
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I like the DiMarzio Air Norton S

Comment

I have one Strat with a Duncan Hot Rail and another one with one of these:

https://www.guitarfetish.com/Lil-Kil...y_p_21984.html

To me, it's every bit as hot as the Duncan and has a darker, denser sound I really like. At $24.95, it's worth taking a chance.

EDIT: Be sure to pick the "Hot" version.
        Last edited by PowerTube; 08-04-2019, 11:45 AM.
        Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

I put Cool Rails in the neck and middle of my Beck Strat, with a JB jr. in the bridge.
          This combo works well in combinations. Sounds just about perfect to me...

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
            I have one Strat with a Duncan Hot Rail and another one with one of these:

https://www.guitarfetish.com/Lil-Kil...y_p_21984.html

To me, it's every bit as hot as the Duncan and has a darker, denser sound I really like. At $24.95, it's worth taking a chance.

EDIT: Be sure to pick the "Hot" version.
            Very interesting. I have heard of GFS in general, although I have never played them in person.
            '95 Charvel San Dimas USA Model I Koa - BKP
            '91 Charvel 650 Custom - EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
            '92 Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
            '91 Charvel 475 Exotic Cherry Sunburst - Duncan PATB set
            '90 Charvel 475 XL
            '10 Charvel San Dimas MIJ Style 1 2H - JB/'59
            Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp/Stereo Simul-Class 2:90
            Mesa Boogie MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb with Mark Series stack
            Marshall JVM410H

Comment

Working...
            X