SL2HT/tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL2HT/tuning

How is the tuning stability on these witout locking tuners. Anybody here who owns one please chime in with feed back. Thanx!

Re: SL2HT/tuning

I want to know too.
    Anyone?
    [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, my tuning stability is not that cool, but I believe that it is because I haven't had the time to lube the nut. The experts say that the tuners actually don't detune the guitar as much as a bad nut, so... Overall, I like this babe. I wish the bridge was much heavier, but that's just me. I chose the instrument because I wanted to be able to switch the tunings. Otherwise, I would have chosen a floyd. Cool guitar, nevertheless

Comment

I've got a KE2T. Same set-up as an SL2HT, different body style.

Tuning stability is about the same as any TOM-equipped guitar. Very good, but nowhere near as stable as a Floyd. I'd guess it'd last two, maybe three, songs before you'd have to tweak it again.

I've got replacement locking tuners on the way, so I'll try to remember to post about the differences in the tech area once I've swapped them out. Drop-in Gotoh replacements, too. Same as the original equip., but locking. No new holes or routing needed!

Comment

I have no problems at all with my SLATQH. I bought it brand new this summer and have had no problems at all with tuning. Same with my 87 Student arch top(although I'm thinking about replacing the nut with a bone nut. I agree that the nut is the problem 9 times out of 10. I read somewhere that Eddie used to grind up pencil lead and mix it with 2and1 oil. Then he would put a drop or two at each string on the nut. I've never tried this myself, but it makes sense.

I had a strat that I put locking tuners, an LSR roller nut and graphtech saddles on. That thing was as stable as a Floyd.

There are things you can do if you are having problems.

Jim
          "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Yea, Eddie was one of many that did that. You can also use the pencil graphite in petroleum jelly. Stewart MacDonald also has "Guitar Grease" for nuts and hardware. A little tub of that will last you a lifetime! I use it on all my "non-locking" nut guitars.
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I had a USA SLS with the 3x3 head and the string would stick on the nut (phenolic) when tuning.

You can get a thing called Big Bends Nut Sauce from www.guitaristonly.com . I bought two tubes of it at NAMM this summer. The guy had a Clapton Strat set up in his booth and a machine he built that moved the High E string side to side very far (full-step bend or more), and it had been going for almost 100,000 revolutions (bends) and had not broken. He had the Sauce on the saddle and the nut.
              It not only helps prevent string breakage (as long as there are no burrs on the saddle) but also helps with tuning stability.

The only non-Floyded guitars I have are my LP, Explorer, Agile, and JCF01, but haven't put it on them yet.

I'll have to set up some "before and after" scenarios [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Do that. I'd like to see if Big Bends works. It sounds like it would.

Comment

That's some pricey Nut Sauce they've got there.
                  RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
                  RIP Dime

Comment

I think a mixture of some bee wax, vaseline and graphite will do just as good as the Nut Sauce.

Comment

good advice about lubing the nut. otherwise, the strings (particularly the b) bind in the nut and it can be difficult to get in tune/stay in tune. however, the string thru body gives you a lot more tone (especially on a woody guitar like a kelly). i have my kelly HT set up with 10-52's for a killer, full rhythm tone, especially when i detune to c#

Comment

Working...
                      X