X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible find on an RR1

Hey guys,

Came across an RR1, black, string through, with the serial #

"RR" and then 1748. She is in need of some TLC, but nothing that cant be taken care of. The pawn shop has a tag of $1608 on it.

Is that a ridiculous price? If so, what is it worth? Really know much about RR's, but am willing to learn. Sure had a nice neck on it...

Thanks!

Shawn in Tampa
    Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Re: Possible find on an RR1

<font color="yellow">Well, it is a 85 San Dimas Rhoads....

Is it a Student or Custom [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Is it thrashed out, chipped tips etc. or has it held up relatively well for a 19 year old guitar [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Value is subjective to a lot of people...are you buying it as an investment museum piece or is this gonna be in your guitar rotation??

These are the kind of things you have to ask yourself.

Personally, it seems a little high to me, but then I'm not really "in the know" on SD Rhoads' either....

If you like it, and there are no structural issues, pull the trigger and [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] </font>

Comment

There are a few chips (on the horns) but nothing bad. The pickguard(is it brass?) is a little worn, the tuner knobs have been swapped for skulls (Very metal eh?...DOH), but the frets are great, it just needs a bath I would say.

It has sharkfin inlays, so is it a custom?

Shawn
      Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

It would just be part of a collection really, never played anywhere but home.

Shawn
        Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Ebony and fins means Custom San Dimas, rosewood and dots means Student (about like Gibson's Special and Custom LPs - not really a Custom Shop - that and Hamer's "Prototype" model has always bugged me).

Anyhoo, for $1608 I'd say pass. I seriously doubt they gave the guy who sold it more than $100, saying "it's one o them hair-metal geetars and I cain't git nuthin fer it". Is there a letter on the tag that you recall? Someone once posted that there's an alphabetical code they write on the tags to tell them how much they paid for it (MARY LOUISE - $100-1000 I think was the code and range, though it probably varies from region to region)

Anyhoo, I'd definitely try to get it for closer to what the shop paid, just because they are notorious for screwing people out of the real value of stuff.
          If the guy can show proof he paid over $1000 for it, I'd talk him down to $1300 even with case, but as it is, I'd shoot for under $1000 ($800 with case).

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Newc, I called them back, and the best they would do was $1250. These guys that work at these places are really the lowest common denominator.....

You have a customer, with cash, and they want to play hardball...

Its a tough call.

Shawn
            Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Shawn, now this is coming from a guy who has paid a LOT for a custom Rhoads or two.....I would pass on it. Unless there's something really unique about it and you plan on hanging onto it for a long time, I doubt it'd be worth even 1250. Mainly because it is very doubtful that you'd make your money back if you had to sell it. If the tips were all in pretty solid shape, the frets had a lot of life left in them, if the finish was exceptional for its age, then I'd probably pay the 1250. That's the same amount that I posted my '89 Rhoads with the sunset beach graphic for and it is an exceptional guitar IMO. The SD factor is certainly something to take into consideration but I would think that you could find SD Rhoads fairly regularly for under a grand in pretty decent condition. Just my opinion.

Comment

Here's my thoughts.

1) It's not worth more that 1200

2) If you want it, walk in (don't call, walk in there)with cash in hand. Start at 800, and don't go over 1000.

3) If he won't budge on the price, walk out &amp; keep looking.

I have a few rhoads (4 to be exact), and i have a Black and brass # RR 0761 which is a 1984 RR-1 string thru. It was a litte beat up but I got it for 600 about 6 years ago. It still plays and sounds amazing. The old SD RR-1's are worth thier weight in gold to a player, but I wouldn't pay that much. This isn't a classic fender or gibson, and the market for these isn't as big as it is for the Fender or gibby.

Just my 2 cents [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                "Gonna Bend You Like A G String" - RIP Bon Scott

Comment

pawn shop owners get real excited when you pull cash out and offer to give it to them. (they get MAS, hehheh)

its so worth a try.
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

If they won't go under $1000 with case pass on it. What they're asking is ridiculous unless this guitar was in time capsule condition. It's not all original and it's got some scars so $1000 would be tops on that guitar.

- Joel
                    RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
                    RIP Dime

Comment

I agree with Joel....Changed tuners,etc...What about pickups?originals?..I wouldn't go over $800..Cort

Comment

where are you dudes finding SD custom black w/brass rhoads string-thru rhoads for $1000 or less. i have never heard of such a thing.

Comment

some people call it "dreamland", other people call it "eb@y"

just kidding.. lol

i've seen some retarded stuff liek that too.. like a pointy carvin at a local pawnshop for 250$ CDN, however i went to the bank and came back and the price magically went up to 800 and the guitar dissapeared.. so i left

Comment

I doubt the '83 Rhoads in awesome condition on E-bay right now will go over $1608. Anyone seen that one yet? Hell, if I had the cash I'd bid on it right now!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              I seriously doubt they gave the guy who sold it more than $100, saying "it's one o them hair-metal geetars and I cain't git nuthin fer it".

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard that one before.

Comment

Working...
                              X