RR-1 Poplar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RR-1 Poplar

Well, i bought used RR-1 ´98, and her body it´s made of Poplar. So, anyone knows this material? Thanks a lot.

Re: RR-1 Poplar

It has much low-end, warmth and volume. So its not bright or has attack so much as mahogony or hard ash.

Comment

Poplar and alder are similar in tone. Lots of old Jacksons were made out of it. Don't worry about it.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

<font color="yellow">Exactly Toe

They have similar tonal characteristics, but Poplar has mineral streaks which appear greenish, so it is normally used on guitar bodies that receive solid colors, where Alder may be used for stains etc. as it doesn't have the deposits.

Myself, I can't really tell the difference in tonality between them, but some people swear they can.

I wouldn't worry about it [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] </font>

Comment

Thanks a lot guys, so, if the appearence it´s the unique difference between Poplar and Alder, the Poplar won´t affect the guitar sound characteristics... Thats it?

Comment

<font color="yellow">Like I said, to me, it is a purely aesthetic issue, not a tonal issue. Using Poplar for a clear/stained finish would show the mineral deposits, and wouldn't be too attractive [img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

If you blindfolded 100 guitarists and gave them say, for experiments sake, 2 identical guitars, made by the same manufacturer, but one being made out of Poplar and the other Alder, I don't think too many of them could/would honestly say they could hear a tonal difference between the 2.

But, some people swear they can....who am I to judge [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] </font>

Comment

Helmet, you might want to go to warmoth's site where you can read about many body-woods ---&gt; Warmoth

Poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera):
              This is another standard body wood having been used by many companies over the years. Due to the grey/green color, this wood is used only when solid color finishes are to be applied. It's weight generally runs about one half pound more than Alder. Tonally, it is similar to Alder as well. Poplar is a closed grain wood that accepts finish well.
              Henrik
              AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Hehe, thanks, these replies solved all my questions. I don´t have a ear good enough to hear a tonal difference too... So, it won´t affect my expectatives for this awesome guitar. The price paid was U$1000 here in Brazil.Here is a picture:

Comment

Thanks for the link man, i have learned much more about woods.

Comment

That is fukkin sweet! I love the Lightning graphic!!! You paid $1000 usd? That's a good price for that guitar! Good score!

Comment

Thanks wulfe, i like the lightning too, especially in Randy Rhoads and King-V models. Yes, the price was 1000 american dollars. I will have this pretty tuesday, i can´t wait more!!! hehhehe

Comment

Wow, sweet one!!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          It's weight generally runs about one half pound more than Alder.

[/ QUOTE ]
                          I've found it can vary in weight drastically. My Dinky HX is poplar... lightest guitar I own, even a little lighter that my Carvin that's swamp ash. I also had a poplar Model 6 and Model 5A that were pretty heavy, with the Model 6 being the heaviest.

Comment

I tend to think of poplar as a middle of the road kind of tone. To me it isnt really too much to any extreme. I usually find that with poplar guitars, the pickups dictate more of your tone than the wood does. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

TJ - Aren't the HX bodies more sculpted/tapered on the edges like the Stealth or Ibenhad Sabre? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Newc
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X