Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sl2gx real custom shop?

Hi there, this is my first post.
    I'm considering buying a second hand jackson usa sl2gx.
    It was made in july 2003 according to the certificate and the serial number is J6730-GX.

https://ibb.co/yXpDNWY
    https://ibb.co/zGrxFqG

Is it a real custom shop or just a limited run in batch production?
    If anyone could help me out, that would be great.

There were other colors with trans quilt tops. I've seen some SL2GX in trans green, trans blue/chlorine and trans rootbeer. Not sure how many of each were made but with a J serial number, they would have been from the custom shop.

Comment

Custom Shop for Guitar Xpress who is no longer around. I remember the maple quilted tops with trans chlorine, rootbeer and green. I think 20 were made of each. I don't remember a black one.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yeah, I don't recall black either, so maybe it's been refinished?
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Black one: https://reverb.com/uk/item/7712439-j...st-sl2gx-black

It strikes me as odd, because an SL2GX without its fancy PC1-style trans color finish is basically an SL2HT with gold hardware. That's what this black guitar reminds me of, a normal black SL2HT with gold hardware and SL2GX truss rod cover.

Comment

@number of the priest: it is the guitar from the reverb ad (same serial number) but the emg pick up have been remplaced byt passive gold seymour duncan in between.
            Do you think it is fake or worth buying it?

Comment

Don't forget they didn't do the SL2HT at the time these were made. But cool, I don't recall seeing solid black before..

Comment

Chlorine, Kermit and Root Beer were the trans colors. There were 20 in each color. I don't recall there being any solid colors.

The SL2GX is basically what killed Lloyd. Only a few of the Root Beer sold and he had too much money in the remainder of the stock.

These are more 'custom shop' than new Custom Selects. SL2GX were hand made in batches on the same lines that produced the customs. So it wasn't a true custom, but it was built by the same people and in the same queue for work as true Custom builds during that time period.
                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Thanks for jogging my memory. I couldn't remember precisely when the SL2HT was introduced (and to my surprise, browsing the Jackson website right this minute, realizing it's also discontinued) but I do remember the SL2GX from the early days of this iteration of JCF and how this model stood out because our community was salivating for more fixed-bridge guitars.

Sad that not even the SL2HT is in the current offerings. We're exactly where we were a decade and a half ago, with a USA lineup comprised primarily of Floyd-equipped guitars.

Poor Lloyd. Is this why we don't have limited/special runs/batches any more? I remember the JCF01 Rhoads, JCF02 Big Red, DK2LE 1-hum Dinky, and there might be more that I'm forgetting.

Comment

Originally posted by 7hor View Post
                    @number of the priest: it is the guitar from the reverb ad (same serial number) but the emg pick up have been remplaced byt passive gold seymour duncan in between.
                    Do you think it is fake or worth buying it?
                    How much are they asking?
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Here is what I found after a quick research.

1/7/02: SL2GX chlorine 2/20 J6722-GX
                      https://reverb.com/item/19637275-jac...ch-run-2-20-pv

5/29/02: SL2GX rootbeer 3/20 J6763-GX
                      https://reverb.com/fr/item/14908063-...-usa?locale=fr

4/16/03: SL2GX black J6730-GX
                      https://reverb.com/uk/item/7712439-j...st-sl2gx-black

Now I have strong doubts: following the logic of the serial numbers, J6730-GX should be the chlorine 10/20 but according to the date, it was produced after J6763. It makes no sense...

What do you think?

Comment

I am not worried about the authenticity of the SL2GX in question, if that is the guitar that appears in your first post at the top of this thread. A USA Jackson is a difficult guitar to copy, and the counterfeit Jacksons are easy to distinguish. The counterfeit Jacksons also seldom appear on this forum so we generally are not worried, though we do stay vigilant.

Apologies if no one so far confirmed or denied the guitar in question. Here on this forum, our attitude is somewhat relaxed and usually "no news is good news". By now, if anyone had any doubts about its authenticity, they would have already spoken.

If the guitar in question is a good price (which you have yet to reveal), then we recommend you buy it. If the price is high, but you still want the guitar very much, that is up to you to decide. What is a "good price"? Something tells me you are French (you said "remplace" in one of your above replies) but that doesn't tell me whether you live in Quebec or in France, and the market would be different in Canada versus Europe. Since I'm Canadian, if I were desperate I might pay up to CAD$2000 for it. A good deal would be CAD$1500 or under. A great deal would be CAD$1000 or under. Those are just my price ranges for a USA Jackson so it will vary depending on your location and your spending habits. Most people know me as a bargain hunter and that's my area of expertise, so even I will decline buying highly desirable guitars if they are outside my price range. I have limits I impose on myself, otherwise I would be uncontrollably buying everything that appeals to me.
                        Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 04-23-2019, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Thank you for the information. You're right, I'm french and here in Europe, a second hand Jackson is way more expensive. The seller is asking 2200e for the J6730. Considering that a new custom shop cost nowadays around 4000e, it is a standard offer for us.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                            Sad that not even the SL2HT is in the current offerings.
                            Well, don't forget that there isn't really much in the way of 'current offerings' as they want to push people to Custom Select. And you can order string thru versions of everything..

Comment

Pro music tools is a german shop notorious for their high prices. They have some cool guitars but they are overpriced IMO and they wont budge on the prices.

https://www.promusictools.com/guitar...tring/charvel/

https://www.promusictools.com/guitar...tring/jackson/

Comment

Working...
                              X