Replacing a floyd rose neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing a floyd rose neck

Hi guys, I'm a new member and English is not my native language so if there's any grammer, spelling or any kind of mistake, be patient with me
    I have a 2009 Jackson kelly KE3 and a part of the head stock is broken (right on the low E tuner).
    In my country fixing the guitar at a guitat firm (let's say for comparing it's like taking it to Guitar Center) would be very expensive. I've noticed in a Steve Vai video (when the guys at Ibanez built him the JEM Woody) they just screwed the neck to the body and pit the strings on. Is it that easy? Can I, a regular joe with a fair share of labor work, replace it myself? And if you can help me find a reliable shopping site with worldwide shipping it'd be great. Sorry for the long post, hope anyone will reply soon

Welcome to the forum! Do you just want to fix the headstock or replace the entire neck? It would be very helpful if you post pictures with the damage.

Comment

https://ibb.co/YBYnF65
      I want to replace all of the neck, i mean it's a one piece

Comment

Replacing the neck is as simple as swapping the tuners & nut to the new one & bolting it onto the body. Even easier if the new neck has the hardware on it already.
        Just get the right neck or it'll either be more work or it won't work.

Comment

Originally posted by Force View Post
          Replacing the neck is as simple as swapping the tuners & nut to the new one & bolting it onto the body. Even easier if the new neck has the hardware on it already.
          Just get the right neck or it'll either be more work or it won't work.
          Well I hope you saw the picture there's a piece of wood missing and I can't screw ot back because there's no space for it.
          I mean the hole of the tuner itself is no longer.
          I have to order a new neck and i need it finished. Do yoy guys have some sort of reliable site from which i can order one? Everything on eBay or Amazon is either unfinished (no bolts, no polish, no nut, no locks) and the finished are either used or really old and pretty expensive.

Comment

You can probably order a replacement neck from warmoth, but with finish and everything it will turn out a lot more expensive than buying an old neck from ebay, not to mention they cannot legally put a Jackson logo on it. IMHO your best chance is to get a broken Kelly neck from ebay, use part of it to make the missing headstock piece and reglue it to the neck you have.

Comment

What I said still stands. The break on your existing neck has nothing to do with the replacement neck but if the E6 tuner is missing then yes, you will need to replace that as well.

Comment

Skip Warmoth... they do not make any necks that fit a Jackson neck pocket.

Here are a few necks that will fit without issue.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jackson-Jap...JoYH:rk:3:pf:0
                https://www.ebay.com/itm/Reverse-hea...4YF:rk:23:pf:0
                https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-MIJ-Ja...pg~:rk:29:pf:0

Stay away from the Jackson "Style" replacement necks on eBay. Most have the wrong heel size.
                -Rick

Comment

So the broken part of wood is missing and gone?

Make sure the new neck has the same number of frets (likely 24).

Comment

Where is the missing piece? Glue and clamp it and be done.

It has a locking nut, no need to even fix it to make it playable.

Comment

Even if the broken part (piece of wood) is forever lost this neck/headstock is still repairable, I think. And this MIJ KE3 is not worth of Warmoth neck, I guess. Replacement neck (used) will cost half of the value of the whole guitar. I do not know where this guitar is located, but a piece of maple or other suitable wood, some glue and some black spray paint would be fix this problem.. And yes, english is not my first language, either.
                      My Jacksons: RR1 x2, RR Pro, Soloist Pro, RRXMG x2, SDX, JS32RR

Comment

You might spend more than the guitar was worth, maybe time for a new guitar?

Comment

Working...
                        X