Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 USA Soloist locking tremolo question

Guys,

Who made the locking tremolos on 1991 Jackson USA Soloists? They look licensed, and I wonder if they are any good compared to a OFR?

If it's Schaller, rebranded for Jackson, are there any problems replacing them with a OFR in the routing these Jacksons would have back then?

Last edited by claxor; 11-09-2018, 12:10 AM.

Yes its a Schaller made JT-590. OFRs locking screws would come over the routing from the back.

I have found that over time on those old schallers the the screwholes on the plate strip and that makes intonation impossible. So in that case you would have to replace the baseplate or the whole trem. On the new baseplates they have hardened inserts on the screwholes. Other than that i dont have any problem with them.

Comment

A new baseplate will cost almost as much as a 2nd hand OFR though - but - the JT-590 route is not long enough for OFR saddle screws I fear

Comment

So, if I replace the tremolo completely with an OFR, it won’t fit properly?

Comment

As you can see, the OFR long screws protrude further than the route for the JT590.

You can either buy a used JT590, or go brand new with a Schaller Tremolo (OEM version of Schaller/Jackson JT590): https://schaller.info/en/tremolos/359/schaller-tremolo

Not to be confused with the Schaller Lockmeister (OEM version of "Floyd Rose Original" made for Floyd Rose Company; just like the OFR, the longer screws of the Lockmeister will extend further than the route on your Soloist): https://schaller.info/en/tremolos/364/lockmeister-6

Normally I would recommend the Lockmeister over the standard Tremolo because it's superior in materials. The Lockmeister/OFR has a one-piece hardened steel baseplate, and the knife edges are part of this one solid piece. The standard Tremolo, if it's anything like the JT590, has a zinc baseplate (zinc is a softer metal than hardened steel) with hardened steel knife edge "inserts" embedded in it. Additional weaknesses of the JT590 are illustrated by ed above, and also here in much more detail: http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/TremoloInfoProject.htm

However, in your situation you must weigh the pros and cons:

Schaller Tremolo will fit, but it's a weaker tremolo.

Schaller Lockmeister will limit pull-up range due to the longer screws, but it's a superior tremolo.

Do you care about pull-up range, or do you want a superior tremolo?
          Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 11-09-2018, 10:42 AM.

Comment

I mainly use a locking trem for vibrato, similar to what players like Lynch used to do, but I do like the freedom to do a slow pull-up on the trem as well. Thoughts?

Comment

If you are intent on swapping your JT590 for an OFR, but want full pull-up range, get an OFR but remove the long locking screws... and re-use the short/stubby locking screws from the JT590. Hybrid trem. Best of both worlds: Full pull-up range allowed by the short screws, and full steel construction of the OFR. Parts are interchangeable between the models, and looking at the links I linked above for the Schaller Tremolo and the Schaller Lockmeister, the dimensions for the relevant-to-our-discussion areas are identical (including the six gaps in the baseplate through which you would thread the locking screws).
              Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 11-09-2018, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                If you are intent on swapping your JT590 for an OFR, but want full pull-up range, get an OFR but remove the long locking screws... and re-use the short/stubby locking screws from the JT590. Hybrid trem. Best of both worlds: Full pull-up range allowed by the short screws, and full steel construction of the OFR. Parts are interchangeable between the models, and looking at the links I linked above for the Schaller Tremolo and the Schaller Lockmeister, the dimensions for the relevant-to-our-discussion areas are identical (including the six gaps in the baseplate through which you would thread the locking screws).
                I dont think the stubby schaller screws will fit into an ofr plate.The gaps for the screws are wider in a schaller than a OFR.
                Last edited by ed; 11-09-2018, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ed View Post
                  I dont think the stubby schaller screws will fit into an ofr plate.The gaps for the screws are wider in a schaller than a OFR.
                  Correct, one can shorten the OFR allen bolts though (or get shorter ones)
                  "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I stand corrected. Looking at the two schematics I linked, I honestly couldn't tell a difference in the gap spacing.

I suppose the different gap widths explains why I have never seen photos a successful hybridization of the two trems as I described. I imagine it's been attempted, but without success.

Comment

Just get a new Schaller - straight swap and job done..
                      Popular is not the same as good
                      Rare is not the same as valuable
                      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Actually, the tremolo (and more importantly the tremolo body routing) resembles how this guitar looks below.

What kind of routing design is this? The tremolo inserts are part of the body surface and are not within the routed tremolo area, and lowered relative to the body surface. The routing looks odd. Is the tremolo position higher off the body surface in these below photos, than the guitar photos posted above?

Comment

That's actually a top-mounted trem, meaning not recessed into the body (and the neck is tilted back more just like with a normal non-recessed trem), but it's a got a pull-up route behind it.

I believe they did those pull-up routes in 1989, not sure how much longer after.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

So, I can't do a full recessed routing job on a Jackson USA with this type of tremolo routing, and neck tilt?

Comment

Nope. It's just a route for being able to pull back a little more.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X