Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disable Tone Pot on Jackson PC-1

Hi All

I would like to disable my tone pot on my PC-1. I never use it and have to check that it on full. I am hoping that it waill be a simple case of desoldering the two wires that connect to the pot and resoldering them together. Has anybody done this.

Thanks as always
    Paul

Tone pot disconnected in 4 of my 5 Jacksons and in a couple of other guitars I have.

First of all, please note that it should be possible not to hear a real difference (tone pot open/tone pot disconnected) in terms of sound once you disconnect it (it could depends on various things...wiring, pots, etc..)
    Anyway, check for first a simple thing in the actual wiring: does the output wire from the switch selector go in the volume pot first?? (and THEN in the tone pot)

If the wiring is like this
    https://www.seymourduncan.com/wiring...-volume,1-tone
    you can cut the two wires of the tone pot (the signal and the ground)

Pay attention to some details, example:
    If you have the ground wire from the bridge that arrives on the tone pot for first, you must disconnect it and resolder on the volume...so...there are some things you should pay attention to, it depends how the wiring was done..

Anyway, it's not difficult.

Comment

Don't solder anything together. It would create a ground loop.
      Simply clip the wire coming from the volume pot to the tone pot.
      Leave the ground wire attached to the tone pot. Less work to restore the tone pot in the future.

PC1 pots all go to a common ground, so no need to worry about the ground lead on the tone pot.
      -Rick

Comment

On my Jem 77FP, I taped it up wide open and stuffed it inside the cavity. Later I had my guitar guy clip it and do it the right way and moved the volume to tone location.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
          Don't solder anything together. It would create a ground loop.
          Simply clip the wire coming from the volume pot to the tone pot.
          Leave the ground wire attached to the tone pot. Less work to restore the tone pot in the future.

PC1 pots all go to a common ground, so no need to worry about the ground lead on the tone pot.

Thanks Guys for your help. I was not concerned about the tone pot on full vs no tone pot at all. It was just the case of having to make sure it was on full.

I just desolded the wire coming from the Volume pot as Rick suggested. Taped it up with electrical tape and tucked it away. A simple procedure (when you know how) and easily reversable. Not that I will ever sell this guitar.

Thanks again
          Paul

Comment

Working...
          X