Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help identifying 1987 Jackson Soloist factory. Dimas or Ontario?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help identifying 1987 Jackson Soloist factory. Dimas or Ontario?

Hi. I'm new here and I'd appreciate your help...

I am the original owner of an 87 Jackson Soloist. I recently looked up my serial number on Jackson's site and it falls right after their move to Ontario CA. But I believe the guitar was made in San Dimas because the Limited Warranty card has a San Dimas PO address on it and i bought the guitar in May of 87 so it may have very well been made in late 86. Also after calling Jackson, I hear that the records may not be exact. The guitar also has a full Floyd Rose setup (not stamped Jackson on it) and it has the Made in USA tag on the headstock. From what I understand, these are signs of a San Dimas guitar?

The site has this listed:
    1987 Ontario J2800-J4072
    (mine is J2986)

Can someone tell me how accurate these records are and if there is a more accurate way(s) of identifying where it was made?

Thanks,
    Mike

The move happened during ‘86. Your serial number corresponds to an ‘87 build, so it’s an Ontario guitar. An original Floyd Rose was always an option, usually requiring the customer to ship the bridge to the factory because Kramer had the exclusive rights at the time. So that doesn’t necessarily mean anything, as it was possible both before and after the move. Similar with the hang tag - they just used up old supplies until they ran out, whether it was tags, neck plates, whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
      The move happened during ‘86. Your serial number corresponds to an ‘87 build, so it’s an Ontario guitar. An original Floyd Rose was always an option, usually requiring the customer to ship the bridge to the factory because Kramer had the exclusive rights at the time. So that doesn’t necessarily mean anything, as it was possible both before and after the move. Similar with the hang tag - they just used up old supplies until they ran out, whether it was tags, neck plates, whatever.

Thanks Shreddermon. Much appreciated. Thing is I bought my guitar new with the Floyd installed from the factory. From what I understand they started putting Jackson branded Floyds on their Soloists starting in 1987. Since mine came with an original Floyd I thought it could be a holdover from 86. Plus Jackson not knowing the accuracy of their serials doesn't help.

Comment

There are also transitional guitars - small control cavities on guitars serialised late into 87 etc. So they obviously had some blanks made from the SD days that were finished up in Ontario. Does your guitar have an oversized bridge pickup?

Pics would help

Looking at my records, there's quite a lot of guitars in that era that have factory OFRs rather than the JT6 - J3021, J3012, J2995..
        Last edited by neilli; 07-09-2018, 07:59 PM.
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
          There are also transitional guitars - small control cavities on guitars serialised late into 87 etc. So they obviously had some blanks made from the SD days that were finished up in Ontario. Does your guitar have an oversized bridge pickup?

Pics would help

Looking at my records, there's quite a lot of guitars in that era that have factory OFRs rather than the JT6 - J3021, J3012, J2995..
          Thanks Neilli. Let me try to post some photos tomorrow (have to set up a URL address to post). I think it's an oversized bridge but I'm not 100% sure what you mean by oversized. More to come thanks.

Comment

You are Lucky the JT6 was Junk. Yes your's is an Ontario build but all guitars at that time were Custom order.

Comment

Working...
            X