Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Bareknuckle for my Rr1 bridge?

Hello, and greetings from Finland!

I am planning to replace my bridge pup (schaller hot stuff, a little thin sounding, somewhat dimebucker feeling pickup) with a bpk pickup, but i am not sure which would sound best trough this alder body, necktrough/ebony fretboard rr1..
    I am after rhytm tone thats not way too middy, more of an oldschool sounding, has that "mean", heavy tonality and good note articulation.
    We play lot of pantera, metallica, bodom, megadeth, iron maiden, etc.

I already have asked some help from bpk, and they gave me 3 options: ceramic miracle man, nailbomb and painkiller, i would love to hear if any of you have some experience with these in your rr1.

No experience with those specific pickups, but if thinness is the issue you are trying to resolve and your guitar has a Floyd on it; you might also consider swapping out the sustain block on the Floyd for a big brass block or a Tungsten block. Brass tremolo claws can help too.

Comment

Very interesting, thanks! I will definitely keep that in mind and look some more info about that.. I know i could always go with the "safest bet" like duncan custom/distortion/modded jb, but something in that bkp,s overall clarity even under big gain stages drives me in to their webpage over and over again ...

Comment

Going to put BK Juggernaut and Emerald in one of my Soloists.

As for the sustain blocks. A big brass block will limit you ability to pull up on the tremolo arm and brass is a softer metal.

The Tungsten blocks give you the same mass as a big brass block in a standard sized sustain block and is the heaviest metal used for sustain blocks. The Tungsten is pricey, but to me personally is the way to go.

I have Tungsten in all of my Floyd guitars. In my experience, the heavier and/or harder the sustain block, the more energy that is left in the strings instead of being “absorbed” by the block. This directly translates to a more resonant and lively sounding guitar.
        Last edited by CaptNasty; 06-13-2018, 03:15 PM.

Comment

I can’t speak about the nailbomb or painkillers, but I have (4) guitars with miracle man sets and love them. Hotter than your average, but not too hot. Great sustain as well. Awesome
          "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

I go to battle with a pair of Warpigs in what is probably an alder neck-thru guitar. They sound killer! Very hot and have a darker/bassier timbre.

Comment

Awesome to have so many good replies, every opinion is welcomed at this point !

Comment

Awesome, thanks for your reply! Do you have any of those mm,s in alder body guitars? My mainly consern is that miracle man might be too bright in my rr1

Comment

I thought warpig (great sound) , but since bpk didnt recommend it to my style, i kinda forgot it for a while.. after all, its your own ears that make the decision, right?

Comment

I can only speak from experience about the Nailbomb Ceramic in my Charvel San Dimas USA (bolt on HH).

It is like a Duncan Distortion that was sent to Navy Seal camp. It does a lot of same things, but better. It is next gen in terms of clarity and quietness under extreme distortion. I'd describe it as having a more complex, hi-resolution sound.

I like '80s Bay Area thrash, and it delivers big time on those kinds of tones.
                    Last edited by Black Shadow; 07-25-2018, 12:17 AM.
                    '95 Charvel San Dimas USA Model I Koa - BKP
                    '91 Charvel 650 Custom - EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
                    '92 Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
                    '91 Charvel 475 Exotic Cherry Sunburst - Duncan PATB set
                    '90 Charvel 475 XL
                    '10 Charvel San Dimas MIJ Style 1 2H - JB/'59
                    Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp/Stereo Simul-Class 2:90
                    Mesa Boogie MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb with Mark Series stack
                    Marshall JVM410H

Comment

Originally posted by Black Shadow View Post
                      I can only speak from experience about the Nailbomb Ceramic in my Charvel San Dimas USA (bolt on HH).

It is like a Duncan Distortion that was sent to Navy Seal camp. It does a lot of same things, but better. It is next gen in terms of clarity and quietness under extreme distortion. I'd describe it has having a more complex, hi-resolution sound.

I like '80s Bay Area thrash, and it delivers big time on those kinds of tones.
                      Damn it.. i think i will pull the trigger on this later atleast for my other guitar.. simply too many pickups in their line to test out.. i am using kemper atm (ex Jvm 410h user) so in the end i can also "modify" the tone and eq quite a bit if needed ..

Comment

I ended up ordering the miracle man, if it turns out to not be that good on rr1 , i will then perhaps put that on my mahogany body prs, and try out the nailbomb next .. i will do a little update when the pup arrives, to let u guys know if it was a hit or miss

Comment

Working...
                        X