Custom Select Orders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Select Orders

Simple question: do custom select guitars get the "Jackson Custom Shop" logo?

Yes, though some people are irked by it.

One could argue it takes away from the full Customs.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Thanks for the response Mudlark. That is exactly what I was thinking. I have a full custom shop SL2 and I am contemplating a Custom Select order. Did not know if Jackson would want to protect the full custom shop brand or leverage it. Sounds like they decided to leverage it.

Thanks again.

Comment

Custom orders are custom orders, period. Just because someone didn't choose to pick any of a limited set of options requiring it to be "Masterbuilt" doesn't mean it wasn't a custom shop order.

Comment

If a Custom Select is built using a different process than a Master Built (e.g. CNC vs a more manual build process) there would be a difference though, right? Jackson differentiates between a Custom Select and a Master Built, so that would seem to reinforce the idea that they are two separate and distinct products. I've been of the impression that the difference lies in just how much of the build is hand built versus tooled/automated.

True, both scenarios provide a "made to order" guitar. If there are quality differences I can see where people might want to differentiate between the two. Especially for resale value purposes.

Comment

The differences are that they are not taking any Masterbuilt guitar orders right now and they charge a ridiculous upcharge for them now. I said no way to both and am ordering a Kiesel. I don`t mind waiting but not to pay that ridiculous upcharge. I never got charged for that before. Either way, I hope you get a nice Select if you get one

Comment

Originally posted by slayer View Post
              The differences are that they are not taking any Masterbuilt guitar orders right now
              From what I heard this week, they are only taking Custom Selects on a case by case basis also. Sounds like they are redoing work flow and processes in the custom shop. Thinking I may try my hand with a a ESP custom shop build.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptNasty View Post
                If a Custom Select is built using a different process than a Master Built (e.g. CNC vs a more manual build process) there would be a difference though, right? Jackson differentiates between a Custom Select and a Master Built, so that would seem to reinforce the idea that they are two separate and distinct products. I've been of the impression that the difference lies in just how much of the build is hand built versus tooled/automated.

True, both scenarios provide a "made to order" guitar. If there are quality differences I can see where people might want to differentiate between the two. Especially for resale value purposes.
                Every one of those points is highly debatable and/or a subjective opinion. With all due respect, the differences people tend to speak of are often more about "wanna-be" snobbery than anything else. It's the modern equivalent of what 80s Charvel guys used to call "mojo". LOL I'm not trying to insult anyone, apologies in advance if that is misinterpreted. That's also not to take anything from the skills or experience of the J/C masterbuilders, those guys are legends.

And, by the way, most of my guitars were "masterbuilt" before such a term was applied in the Jackson / Charvel ordering process. There is little or no "quality" difference between masterbuilt guitars and custom selects - I've got great ones from each side. In fact, I've had issues with several MB guitar orders going awry through the years, and have yet to experience anything major with a custom select order. And resale? "Resale" is the difference between what you originally paid for something and what it can be resold for on the used market. Not the absolute value, but that difference. Every guitar is different - that's why they're all custom shop orders, right? - but when you factor in the masterbuilt surcharge and options, resale on MB guitars is generally worse than CSs. It might sell for a higher dollar value than a CS (emphasis on "might"), but that will very likely be a lower percentage of the original purchase price.

Bottom line: we should love them both, they are both legit custom shop guitars, and, as customers, we should consider ourselves lucky to have both as options.

Comment

A true custom shop is a fully hand made guitar, made with some pretty simple wood working tools and hand shaped. No 2 are exactly the same. Custom select are CNC made - it's really a production guitar that you configure.

I ordered 2 true customs at the same time. Both built by Shannon at the same time. They both have minor differences.

The reason custom select costs less is the reduced labor time via CNC automation.

I won't say "never" but I doubt I will order another custom Jackson. It's not that I don't love them, but right now I'm a huge fan of Performance guitars. It's a 2-3 person company. I will probably order a KOA in a month or two.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer View Post
                    The differences are that they are not taking any Masterbuilt guitar orders right now and they charge a ridiculous upcharge for them now. I said no way to both and am ordering a Kiesel. I don`t mind waiting but not to pay that ridiculous upcharge. I never got charged for that before. Either way, I hope you get a nice Select if you get one
                    Thanks man. The build I have in mind would be really sweet.

Originally posted by Aso View Post
                    From what I heard this week, they are only taking Custom Selects on a case by case basis also. Sounds like they are redoing work flow and processes in the custom shop. Thinking I may try my hand with a a ESP custom shop build.
                    Shit. Hope I don't hit a road block. I am not going off the custom select spec sheet at all so hopefully mine is one they will accept.

Originally posted by Dave Rocks View Post
                    A true custom shop is a fully hand made guitar, made with some pretty simple wood working tools and hand shaped. No 2 are exactly the same. Custom select are CNC made - it's really a production guitar that you configure.

I ordered 2 true customs at the same time. Both built by Shannon at the same time. They both have minor differences.

The reason custom select costs less is the reduced labor time via CNC automation.
                    ^^^What he said^^^ I have always wanted a Koa body guitar. That would be cool.
                    Last edited by CaptNasty; 09-03-2017, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Shit. Hope I don't hit a road block. I am not going off the custom select spec sheet at all so hopefully mine is one they will accept.
                      If it's not off the custom select spec sheet than that would be Masterbuilt and they are definitely not accepting any new orders until next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Aso View Post
                        If it's not off the custom select spec sheet than that would be Masterbuilt and they are definitely not accepting any new orders until next year.
                        Not what I meant. I am not asking for anything special. I am not asking for any thing that is not on the custom spec sheet (e.g. Not a custom color, etc)

Comment

Not what I meant. I am not asking for anything special. I am not asking for any thing that is not on the custom spec sheet (e.g. Not a custom color, etc)
                          Sorry, I misunderstood you. I hope they accept your order and not make you wait until next year when they have things restructured.

Comment

Yeah, I have to disagree. Custom Select is NOT Custom Shop. You can't get whatever you want, you need to pick and choose your options for a list with very limited wiggle room with anything else.

If anything USA Select was more custom shop than Custom Select... USA Select were all had made identically by the same people in the same shop, just in batches, with most of the work done by hand.

Custom Select is more like Burger King's "Have it your way" as long as it's with standard components.

That being said, I see nothing wrong with Custom Select, that's been a great addition since they decided to upgrade to CNC for USA Select and then later realized they could pull off one-offs with minimal human interaction during the build phase.
                            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Have filled out the Custom Select order form. Hoping someone who has done a Custom Select can provide some clarity. I have one question: the logo type leaves me questioning what exactly to do. I want the Abalone Overlay. Being an "overlay" does that mean I also select a logo color that the Abalone is then placed over it? Or is the Abalone itself the logo?

Comment

Working...
                              X