Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

30th anniversary soloist gas... worth the everything?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30th anniversary soloist gas... worth the everything?

Been looking for a Pink 30th anniversary or ivory white... but has anybody come into mind that its expensive and overly priced being a soloist thats just pure plain other than considering it a shannon masterbuild...

What are the thoughts especially being a shannon build... its really worth getting these ?

I don't think it would be for me, but I'm an old fuck and more interested in getting rid of guitars than
    getting new ones. Also, I'd be concerned about losing potential resale value given how soft the
    guitar market's been lately, and threatening to get worse as us old guys start liquidating our collections!

But if money's not an issue for ya, then hell yeah, go for it! I'm sure they're great guitars...

Comment

I don't understand why anyone would buy one of these rather than finding an original SD Soloist for a lot less..
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Or just order a custom select with very similar features in that color. Close enough.

Comment

I love the 30th. I have only held one once but just love the idea of it (kick myself for not buying it). Definitely on my list of will buy it when I see it. I like the pink one too but I'm a little too short and fat to play what John Mayer does. I'd be too self conscious!

Comment

Yeah... kinda like it too but its a love hate kind of thing as far as what the price fetches... i hope no bad for all jackson die hard fans... i am also a jackson lover as well.... but if anybody can convince me that a shannon build will be far far way better and flawless and polished to every details from construction to playability compared to a regular usa production sl2h...

I used to have a jackson custom shop and construction was bad the nut was too high and its gotta small glue gap between the neck and bindings seam...

Maybe the 30th soloist is just for someone who has the spending power and also a die hard jackson shannon fan.... and i do agree at a point that its a build off from a rock guitar luthier legend... the 30th pink is a sexy guitar and white is legendary when thinking of Gary moore posing off that 80s white soloist... other than that i guess is just a kick on the butt for that dollars and cents... sorry again...
            Last edited by hopkinsWFG; 04-07-2017, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lefty View Post
              I don't think it would be for me, but I'm an old fuck and more interested in getting rid of guitars than
              getting new ones. Also, I'd be concerned about losing potential resale value given how soft the
              guitar market's been lately, and threatening to get worse as us old guys start liquidating our collections!

But if money's not an issue for ya, then hell yeah, go for it! I'm sure they're great guitars...
              Thanks buddy you just woke me up on heavy thoughts and dream... lol

Comment

yep, if they were closer to the originals maybe but they are closer in spec to the '87 versions

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                I don't understand why anyone would buy one of these rather than finding an original SD Soloist for a lot less..

Comment

Originally posted by hopkinsWFG View Post
                  nut was too high
                  That kills it for me. I would not be impressed if I ordered a CS and there was more than a hair's thickness between the first fret and strings.

.010ish high E - .020ish low E?
                  96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

No i didnt take measurements... i took a comparison between my other soloist and i came to think that the locking nut pocket is dressed too shallow and not deep enough for the locking nut to sit further down causing a higher action... its not that extreme high but its tireing enough for scale runs and appreggios... i thought i could file the pocket lower but not into wood works...

Comment

Aside from sanding the wooden shelf down some guys just grind the base of the nut.

I picked up half a dozen Jackson imports at a dealer yesterday and none of them had the locking nut seated low enough. It's like they don't even care. Those were JS, X and Pro series models.
                      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
                        Aside from sanding the wooden shelf down some guys just grind the base of the nut.

I picked up half a dozen Jackson imports at a dealer yesterday and none of them had the locking nut seated low enough. It's like they don't even care. Those were JS, X and Pro series models.
                        Ouch.... were these indonesian made ? But i guess least the jackson stars (japanese made) during the 2000s were good?

Comment

They were Mexican, Chinese, Indonesian and all 2015 models. They'd no doubt been hanging for nearly 2 years and were in bad need of a setup, but those nuts would never pass my scrutiny. The guitar with the best playability out of the bunch was a pink Indo SL3X, and the most disappointing was a pair of Mexican DK2 Pro series.

Japanese guitars were by leaps and bounds the best imports by Jackson. You hardly ever hear of a bad one, but they haven't been made since 2011.

I guess I lead things astray considering this is the USA section.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
                            They were Mexican, Chinese, Indonesian and all 2015 models. They'd no doubt been hanging for nearly 2 years and were in bad need of a setup, but those nuts would never pass my scrutiny. The guitar with the best playability out of the bunch was a pink Indo SL3X, and the most disappointing was a pair of Mexican DK2 Pro series.

Japanese guitars were by leaps and bounds the best imports by Jackson. You hardly ever hear of a bad one, but they haven't been made since 2011.

I guess I lead things astray considering this is the USA section.
                            Yeah i been on ebay looking at few Jackson stars soloist and suprisingly i also came across few grover jackson soloist... none of it are in minty condition for my interest.

No problem at all as its just discussion and any form of jackson soloist and inputs are welcome

Comment

Don't see many STARS here in North America, but they appear occasionally. Some of those STARS were custom made and some production models had USA similar specs.

Comment

Working...
                              X