Need help dating Jackson SL2MAHQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help dating Jackson SL2MAHQ

The serial number is J7432. The guy says it's an early 2000s.
    Thanks for the help

Wouldn't be early, but late 2000's. I'd say circa 2008-2009, but I've only got a couple numbers to base that guesstimate on.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
      Wouldn't be early, but late 2000's. I'd say circa 2008-2009, but I've only got a couple numbers to base that guesstimate on.
      If you had to give a guesstimate quote on how much it's worth what would you say? A guy offered to trade me for it is why I make asking

Comment

My opinion would be with the Custom Shop status and based on what I see in the used market the ballpark would be $1800-2200 depending on condition.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

I wonder what makes it a CS? They were a production model at that time.
          Any specs stick out to you as different from the pics you see online?
          Got a pic?

Comment

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/6008617386.html

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
              I wonder what makes it a CS? They were a production model at that time.
              Any specs stick out to you as different from the pics you see online?
              Got a pic?
              I couldn't figure out how to attach the pic so I just sent the ad

Comment

Is that the guitar? There's no Custom Shop logo, but that's not terribly uncommon during the 2000's.
                Last edited by Mudlark; 03-18-2017, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Yeah that's it. I don't really know much about the custom shop Jacksons from that era

Comment

Here's the price lists, which include the finish options. Check around the 2006-10 lists to see if that colour was listed under the production SL2HMAHQ models shown. Just a shot in the dark, but maybe that colour wasn't offered on the production models, which could make it a Custom at that time.

http://jacksonguitars.com/support/price-lists/

Comment

On page 6 of the 2008 price list, it says that models on transparent green for 3,199. That's what year the guy says he bought it

Comment

Those are MSRP and also regular production models. Street price in North America should be at least 25-35% of that and your's inexplicably has a Custom Shop serial, which could indicate a much higher price than the production models.
                        I'd also check the 2006 and up to 2010 just in case my dating is off by a year or two.

It's hard to say. These guitars have been on here before and it's hard to say why they have the Custom Shop serial. Neck profile, body wood, fret size? Anything unnoticeable in pics may be the reason.

If he paid $3200 the MSRP may've been in the $4000 range.

I can only offer theories. NAMM guitar? A stamping error?
                        Other members may be able to offer something more concrete.
                        That's a decent price for a production model. Production model prices these days are regularly in the $12-1500 range. Even less quite commonly.

Comment

I'll ask him tomorrow about it being a custom shop. Hopefully someone in here can give a little more insight but thanks so much! I'll let you guys know what he says tomorrow

Comment

So I just talked to the guy and the serial number is stamped onto the last fret and he said what makes it a custom shop is the pickups, battery compartment route, the mahogany body and maple cap and it was 3400 brand new.
                            Last edited by JS122615; 03-19-2017, 03:37 PM.

Comment

The pickups/battery cavity would make it a CS when considering I only see passive Duncans showing in google pictures. My stupid internet is too slow today to check the catalogues to see if they were ever offered with actives as a production model, but it appears not.

Though, they were all mahogany with a quilt maple top as the model name indicates. sl2hMAHQ. Unless, he meant even the neck was mahogany?

Either way, seems the questions have been answered and you're getting a FANTASTIC deal on a USA considering what those sold for new. That's a production model price range.

Comment

Working...
                              X