NGD: '88 Soloist Purple Drank GMW Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: '88 Soloist Purple Drank GMW Project

So this project started a while back when I grabbed an '88 Soloist which had a floyd rose and nut from the factory.

It had an HSS EMG setup with a non-recessed MIG OFR + nut.

It was definitely dinged and dented from it's previous owner who loved it for almost 30yrs. The headstock had taken a hit in the bidding broken off and then glued back etc.

Anyways off it went to Lee at GMW for this project.

Got in process pics when I went to Lee's shop and then after pics with my Shannon Soloist.

Quoting Lee from Instagram/Facebook:

This 1988 Jackson Soloist guitar arrived at the shop in need of a few upgrades and repairs. So we were more then happy to oblige.First, the original factory 1/2" diameter bridge inserts were removed and replaced with a new set of 25/64" diameter Floyd Rose inserts. This procedure also allowed the new Floyd bridge to be properly aligned with the fingerboard since the original bridge was slightly misaligned. The bridge pickup rout was then narrowed so that it would accommodate a standard humbucker pickup without the need for the oversized pickup rings used by IMC. The neck and middle single coil routs were filled with maple along with all of the original control holes. The top of the body was capped with a thin 0.020" thick maple veneer, and a new neck position humbucker rout was introduced. The bridge pickup rout was also adjusted to match the neck pickup rout in shape and size.
    Next, new control holes were introduced and the headstock binding was replaced on the treble side where it had been damaged by a previous owner. The guitar was refinished in House of Kolor Violet Pearl Shimrin PBC-40 before the guitar was buffed and reassembled. Reassembly work incorporated all new components from GMW which included new 500K CTS pots, a new 3-way Jackson pickup selector switch, a new football side jack and new Switchcraft input jack, a new black Original Floyd Rose bridge and R3 nut clamp (with brass Big Block), new DiMarzio Distortion (DP-100F) and PAF (DP103) pickups, and a new Jackson 3-hole control cavity plate from the 1980's era. The original factory Jackson logo was also preserved.

This job is done! - Lee
    BEFORE PICS:

IN PROGRESS

AFTER PICS

Great color!

Comment

Thanks - it's a HOK purple and it rocks. The setup from Lee is insane! I'm also loving the Super Distortion and 36th PAF neck. Might be swapping out some JB/Jazz pups in my other guitars for these.

This guitar project experience with Lee might force the Mike Shannon Soloist (pictured) up for sale so I can grab another project NR Floyd project soloist and have Lee work his magic on it!

Comment

That's a severe makeover. Great work by GMW.
        Definitely a great colour choice.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Sexy

Comment

Incredible work done. Purple always looks regal and stunning.

I would be interested in your Shannon for the right price.

Comment

Love the color. How long did all of that take to finish?

Comment

Lee is great and got it all done in like 6 weeks. It was ready for me but both our schedules didn't line up for a pickup from the shop.

Comment

Sweet dude! Congrats!

Comment

Turned out great. That color is AWESOME!

Comment

Holy Fuck thats gorgeous.

I was going to complain about you not cropping your feet out of the pictures but...then I saw the colour and all was forgiven

Comment

That turned out fantastic! Love the color.

Comment

Color looks great! Congrats.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks guys! Love this guitar and how it plays and sounds.Looking for another project NR Floyd soloist to bring back to life with Lee

Comment

Bee-Yuteeful!

Comment

Working...
                              X