• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identifying Jackson SL2H ?

Hi JCFonline!

Just bought a new-used guitar.
    Jackson SL2H.
    Serial number U155xx, picture attached.

Does it date somewhere around 2005? I am hoping it would, because then it would be pre-Fender...

Last edited by Hakkapeliitta; 01-10-2017, 09:50 AM.

Fender bought Jackson in 2002.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Congratulations!

Looks like a DiMarzio Crunch Lab pickup in the bridge.

Pre-Fender versus Post-Fender is irrelevant to me.

The top on that is very nice, and rather distinct from the usual transparent-finished Soloists which have "straight" flametop grain. Example(s) below.

https://www.google.com/search?newwin...k1.QblZ9bORZng

Comment

There is another flame top SL2H in my log that is only a couple numbers away from yours and it was completed May 20, 2005. So your SL2H should also have a production date very close to that.

Comment

Oh yeah, it really was in 2002, my bad. I remembered wrong.

and yes, DiMarzio at on the bridge. And I think the neck could be maybe Transition, DP254?

sounds really nice nevertheless. Alot different than my gibson LP standard.
          Last edited by Hakkapeliitta; 01-16-2017, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnyryche View Post
            There is another flame top SL2H in my log that is only a couple numbers away from yours and it was completed May 20, 2005. So your SL2H should also have a production date very close to that.
            Thanks!

I could not tell the age just by lookin the guitar. It looks like it has not been played at all...
            Last edited by Hakkapeliitta; 01-16-2017, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Nice guitar, congrats.
              The pre-post Fender thing is a myth.
              It should really be pre-post IMC.

Comment

Originally posted by Catharpin View Post
                Nice guitar, congrats.
                The pre-post Fender thing is a myth.
                It should really be pre-post IMC.
                Exactly. Before Fender bought Jackson, AMIC was running Jackson into the ground and some guitars weren't that great. Fender's helped bring them back, but still sometimes QC can be lacking and some bad guitars get out, and it can happen with just about any company.

Comment

Originally posted by Hakkapeliitta View Post

Forgot to say welcome to the forum! That really is a gorgeous top on that one. Congrats.

Comment

So, how's the quality on that Fender Jackson?

Just kidding. All my Jacksons are Fender era and they're all perfect.
                    Fender has made significant upgrades and introduced some cool models since their acquisition.
                    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Sell that POS Fender Jackson! Get yourself a high quality pre-Fender Jackson.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                        With that i wonder how much better is a charvel vs jackson in any degree of debate...

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                          It's not that. Where I come from and where my market is, some people hold pre-Fender era in higher value. I think many here know the history with that prejudice.

I have been setting up the guitar for maybe 3-4 hours now, and it is starting to feel really good. When I got it, the action was really high and the tremolo was in a 20 degree angle towards the neck.

Thank you for your opinions, btw.

I have one previous Jackson, an older version of El-Cheapo Rhoads (just for messing with tuning and strings) and I've had Kelly KE3, back in the late 90's.
                          SL2H is something else. I do not have the Rhoads with me and can't wait to compare them in the flesh.
                          Last edited by Hakkapeliitta; 01-16-2017, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hakkapeliitta View Post
                            It's not that. Where I come from and where my market is, some people hold pre-Fender era in higher value.
                            That's for one simple reason: they're clueless. The whole "pre-Fender" thing started shortly after the buyout and it's a myth that just won't die. If anything at all, Jacksons are better than they were under Akai, the previous owner.
                            Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Working...
                            X