Jackson soloist floyds or TOM string thru body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hopkinsWFG View Post
    Well... yes... now am debating to getta wrap around TOM or a TOM with tailpiece or a string thru body TOM...

I heard there be prone to string breakage for a string thru body TOM as angle from the body to the "saddle" of the TOM the string angle is pretty steep...where installing a tail piece at the back will reduce the string angle but i didnt like the look of having a tail piece....

No idea if the string thru TOM on the jackson are so far ok? Or its just as good as a normal floyd where you experience the same string breakage situation...?
    Never experienced any string breakage due to bridge angle on a TOM. Old wives tale IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard of Ozz View Post
      Never experienced any string breakage due to bridge angle on a TOM. Old wives tale IMHO.
      Me neither. Popped a string on a TOM guitar a week ago- first string I've broken in at least a year- and it broke behind the nut. A year or so of pretty heavy playing on that axe. Never noticed breakage on TOMs in general-wasn't really tracking them anyway- but that one I know hasn't had a break at the bridge.

Comment

I LOVE the ability to modify a standard nut easily to achieve my ideal setup...which is extremely low action. I've picked up countless locking nut guitars that didn't properly seat the nut low enough which lead to a gap between the string and fret at the first fret too deep to achieve my idea of a low action.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
          It's kinda' hard to believe, but I haven't broken a string on my TOM guitars since I've had them...4+ years. I'm not a overly aggressive player, but my playing is at least of average aggressiveness.

I'm not a big fan of the sharp saddles on my TOM bridges, but I've notice in the past they make TOM bridges with more rounded saddles.
          What TOM manufacturer is that ? Well if not wrong the Tone pro locking bridge is the best we could get by far ?

Comment

I don't remember the models, but I know of 'string saver saddles' that fit TOM bridges that have a rounded top instead of the usual sharp edge that comes on the Tone Pro.

Of course there's the roller bridges, but the Wilkinson I tried didn't match my 12-16 radius, so I sent it back.

edit: Actually, after googling some bridges I'm realizing I may've been wrong on my statements about the rounded saddles. Seems all them buggers, even the string savers are quite sharp. I shouldn't trust my memory.
            Last edited by Mudlark; 01-02-2017, 07:00 PM.
            96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
              I don't remember the models, but I know of 'string saver saddles' that fit TOM bridges that have a rounded top instead of the usual sharp edge that comes on the Tone Pro.

Of course there's the roller bridges, but the Wilkinson I tried didn't match my 12-16 radius, so I sent it back.

edit: Actually, after googling some bridges I'm realizing I may've been wrong on my statements about the rounded saddles. Seems all them buggers, even the string savers are quite sharp. I shouldn't trust my memory.
              No problem there... is good that you have helped in anyway.... thanks again on the discussed TOM bridge...

I remember playing my friends ibanez SZ model... the one akin to the MM2... its a korean model with a string thru bridge... i still remember its a sweet playing guitar ....

Now i have stettled on TOM pretty much thou i may switch for a floyd... i wonder how well will it be for accessing inner frets with a "old heel" ?

Just like that 30th annivesary which Mike shannon had preserved... i wonder that "old heel" will preserve any goodness for my CS soloist build ?

Comment

After having several guitars one thing I noticed is strings feel harder with a string thru. Floyds feel more softer. Could just be me since I tend to put 9's on Floyds and 11's on string thrus lol

Comment

Originally posted by hopkinsWFG View Post
                  Hi all jackson lovers... well i have been wondering if a TOM or a Floyd (OFR or schaller) has big impact on the tone of guitar? Ie more sustain and warm for a TOM vs Floyds?

Is it really noticable? And true that you get more tone out of a TOM than a Floyds because less wood is taken off from the lower body portion for a floyd?
                  A. Of coarse it does. All boils down to string vibration. A TOM with Tp or string thru will achieve more string vibration than a floyded guitar.

B. More tone? that would be subjective. Acoustically, In my experience, yes. My RR1T is acoustically louder than my RR1 floyded. Plugged in to
                  "my rig", night and day.... RR1T will cut your face off, RR1F will punch it (same pickups, same cpa setup, same strings)
                  Your mileage will vary with so many variables out there (woods, pups, hardware, finish, strings, amps.... etc. )

You just got to get one of each
                  >^v^<

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                    Yeah, tone on electrics has nothing to do with wood.
                    That's correct, just use plywood !

Comment

Working...
                    X