No announcement yet.

Shannon master built vs custom select ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shannon master built vs custom select ?

Hi i wonder how much difference will it be in build quality and quality of wood when i go with a master build by shannon vs custom select ?

And rather how much difference is in terms of build quality on a regular USA build to a custom select ?
    Are they build just the same but with details you want ?

I haven't played a USA Select in a while (other than my pair of Adrian Smiths), but I'd say that the Custom Selects are a tad better, possibly because they are one-off orders and therefore get a bit more one-on-one attention. I'd put the quality of my three Custom Selects up against any other guitars out there.

When it comes to the Shannon build, you're paying for a lot of hand working rather than CNC, unusual specs, and the cache of his name.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
      When it comes to the Shannon build, you're paying for a lot of hand working rather than CNC, unusual specs, and the cache of his name.
      I feel better getting a guitar that is hand made - Shannon made mine and they were hand made. To me, that's a nice method for a guitar and a way to make it somewhat unique. And, I own a CNC shop - Haha!
      IMG_20130801_084944.jpgIMG_20130802_123346.jpgIMG_20130805_063638.jpgtwins.jpg

Comment

Wow thats two nice soloist..

Comment

I also want to add that I suspect Mike hand selects the wood. I have a couple of Shannon built guitars and they are all noticeably lighter and have more neck stability than all my other Jacksons. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Comment

I just got a Shannon Soloist and it's heavy, so if he selects the wood, it's not all about the weight.
            Popular is not the same as good
            Rare is not the same as valuable
            Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

My CS strathead is 9.5 lbs. It's heavy as fuck.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I'd almost guarantee he selects the wood. The CS is pretty much his shop. It's an old school shop within the Fender factory. It's nothing fancy at all. Now the Fender customer shop several feet away is totally different. When I was there a few years back they have around 8 builders IIRC and each guy has his own little studio to assembly and set them up. I met Mike and he is a cool guy. I'll have to weigh mine - they don't feel any heavier than my other guitars but most of the time now I sit and play so maybe I just don't notice....

Comment

I have a Shannon RR1 that weighs similar to my USA RR1. No real difference in weight between those two guitars. The build quality however is better with the Shannon. No imperfections can be found. Great frets. Best feeling neck of any guitar I have. I got my Shannon via trade though. I don't think I could ever wait 3 years for a guitar to be built...I have no patience. The 7 month wait for my custom select was hard enough LOL. Oh, and comparing the custom select soloist and the Shannon RR. Basically what I mentioned above. The Shannon guitar is better in build quality and feel. That's not saying the custom select isn't great, it's my main player and I love it. But something about the Shannon puts it over the top for me.

Comment

Working...
                  X