Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sl2h soloist standard nut size and string spacing ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sl2h soloist standard nut size and string spacing ?

I know the standard size of a sl2h locking nut is 11/16' according to the catalog i have... but i have no idea if its a narrow string spaced or a standard string spaced? I am planning to get a narrow string spaced nut to correct my high E string as it tends to slip off the edge of the fretboard.... i wonder has anybody tried replacing with a narrower string spaced nut for good results not having the high E string to slip off the fretboard ?

Take a set of calipers and measure from center to center of the strings, so you can compare.

Comment

Sounds like a good idea. 1.687 is standard nut on most guitars. 1.65 is more narrow and Fender Suhr and I think Anderson use that size. Strings will be closer to each other so your high e wont be at the edge. I had many Jacksons with that problem.

Comment

My guess is you already have the narrow spaced R3 as it's more suited to the 12-16" radius vs the R4 which is a 10" radius nut and the few Jacksons that I have all came with the R3 as standard.

Comment

Yeah i guess your right.... with the R3 in place and the E string still slip.... i didna google search that says jackson has many of such problem.... well is it really that so or just few that has taken the poll ?

Comment

How about a pic directly in front of the guitar? Out of 6 USA Soloists I've had just one had proper string alignment

Comment

Sure i will try to post it.... i adjusted the truss rod and string action abit to getta E string lower and abit tighter on tension... i guess it plays well now if i were to run a two string exercise with hammer ons and pull off between high E to B string from first fret to higher frets....

Well can people show a close up picture of how close the high E string has been displaced off near the edge of fretboard? And was that a nut placement issue or bridge alignment ? Or is just a bad fret dressing which the chamfer is way much such that when the high E string is been pressed it sits so close to the edge of chamfered frets and then slides off ?

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

I dont know if its the fretboard or neck issue but the allowance of the high E to the edge of fretboard seems normal .... maybe its just my sloppy playing .... as i haven been playing guitar for quite sometimes.... lol

Comment

Originally posted by 1b4n3z View Post
                    How about a pic directly in front of the guitar? Out of 6 USA Soloists I've had just one had proper string alignment
                    Out of 6 soloist you purchased and only one turned out to be good ? Maybe if your kind to post a close up picture like i did of that few soloist you having issues with ?

I am very interestes to know as i been eyeing an attractive soloist on reverb but kind of caution on things like that which happens

Comment

The spacing looks pretty good on that particular guitar. I have owned 25 or so Soloists and never had an issue with the string slipping off.
                      1997 Dark Candy Red SL1
                      2002 Candy Apple Green DK1
                      2008 Satin Black SL3
                      2011 Charvel Socal Candy Red
                      2010 Les Paul Standard Plus Cherry Burst

Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Comment

Spacing seems good to me...no noticeable difference to my SL2HT.
                        There's a reasonable distance to the end of the frets.

[IMG][/IMG]
                        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Looks good to me too.
                          I do see some inconsistency on some fretwires that end short of the edge of the binding.
                          But overall there's enough clearance between outer strings and the edge.

Also, your low E string is just a tad closer to the edge but that shouldn't matter as slipping off occurs on high E.

Comment

Perhaps is just my playing as i been sloppy and how we approach fretting down the E string also plays a part from slipping the E string off the board... maybe if somebody can show a bad string alignment or 'imperfections' these strings were aligned either a bad fret job ? A shifted E string or a bridge that has taken the wrong measurement ?

Comment

Originally posted by hopkinsWFG View Post
                              Out of 6 soloist you purchased and only one turned out to be good ? Maybe if your kind to post a close up picture like i did of that few soloist you having issues with ?

I am very interestes to know as i been eyeing an attractive soloist on reverb but kind of caution on things like that which happens
                              Hi, I still have a couple of pics left - those guitars are long gone however. I'm picky about these things - details - being spoiled by Ibanez I guess

2008 SL2H

2006 SL1

I've had a couple of others, a 2005 SL2H and another 2008, all with the same problem. The bridge sits nicely in the cavity on all five, but the cavity is misaligned in the first place. Always crooked towards the treble side.

Here's the one I kept - a 2002 SL-1
                              This one has a wider neck to begin with, so perhaps the specs have been reprogrammed at some point after this was made

EDIT:

Yours looks great by the way - not flawed in any way to my eye
                              Last edited by 1b4n3z; 08-17-2016, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X