Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

’85 Rhoads pickups...WTF? Jackson archeologists needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looks pretty good. i take it that it has the green cap?

Comment

Yep, the stock dark green chicklet.

Comment

looks on the up and up to me, pretty clean too

Comment

Originally posted by eaeolian View Post
          They just don't *look* that old. At the very least they've been repotted and the plates replaced, most likely, because even if you don't play it those mild steel plates are going to oxidize. It also looks like they don't fit in the rings, which is kinda odd.

Most of the Rhoads I've seen from that era had the Distortion/Jazz pairing, because Randy.
          Actually not...that was only the first year of production ('83)...by '84 specs had been changed...I learned this the hard way because I ordered an RR Custom during Xmas break of '83 from that years spec sheet...what I got was a JB in the bridge...retailer simply handed me a retail (4 wire version) one in trade for the one in the guitar...and I guess I feel lucky in that I got Seymour Duncan pups as if IIRC the '85 spec sheet already stated Jackson pups

Comment

I'd have to believe the pickups are original. The black oxide screws and slugs are tell tale.
            13K and change is a J80 , the neck a J50N. I havent seen may Rhoads' with a J50 in the bridge.

I'm sure there are a handful of postings here somewhere in the archives on Jackson pickup production quirks , and there may still be a thread about the protoype pickups that Rob L. was cutting loose about 13 years ago., many of those had no stickers, just ohm readings or goofy sayings on them if memory serves me. I wish I had bought some of them.

Comment

Originally posted by peedenmark7 View Post
              I'm sure there are a handful of postings here somewhere in the archives on Jackson pickup production quirks , and there may still be a thread about the protoype pickups that Rob L. was cutting loose about 13 years ago., many of those had no stickers, just ohm readings or goofy sayings on them if memory serves me. I wish I had bought some of them.
              Just thinking...knowing the very short time frame masking tape was used before foil ID labels would help with dating those guitars.

Anyone know who the original pickup winder was for Charvel/Jackson Guitars? Did Grover poach a winder from another manufacturer, or use someone already on his staff?

Comment

I'm sure he didn't fire the pickup (re)winders when he bought the company from Wayne.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                X